Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page > Koh Samui: Le Meridien / Dusit - snorkeling & sea kayaking?

Koh Samui: Le Meridien / Dusit - snorkeling & sea kayaking?

May 12th, 2004, 07:06 PM
Original Poster

Koh Samui: Le Meridien / Dusit - snorkeling & sea kayaking?

We're booked at the Le Meridien, but are now concerned about water activities, and are thinking if Dusit would be better for us. But how do their rooms compare? And would Dusit be more crowded in general?

We (i.e. my husband ) would like to stay on-premise for most of the time and are wondering if snorkeling and sea-kayaking are good around the shore of Le Royal Meridien. (That is, we would rather not have to take a backpack and be "gone till dinner".)

For swimming we prefer the pools so there's no problem. (So is sea swimming really out at Meridien?)

How's the sea there for sea-kayaking?

Thanks!!
Kat
May 12th, 2004, 08:04 PM

I stayed at the Saniburi Dusit a few weeks ago and I didn't get a feeling of the hotel being crowded. The hotel consist of the main building about 4 or 5 stories with a typical hotel room lay out and then they have the garden and beach front villas or bungalows where I stayed.

The beach at the Santiburi Dusit is not suitable for snorkelling, in fact I did not really see any places on Samui itself that is good for snorkelling(I'm a certified diver). The water is generally murky and you'll not see that much. There are some islands around there which offer reasonable snorkelling activities but if you want to really enjoy it you will have to take a 2 hour boat ride to Koh Toa where the water is clear with lots of nice corals at shallow depth.

The Meridien hotel - although I didn't stay there I visited the hotel and love the view from there. The hotel is situated on top of a hill or a small mountain with a stunning view of the sea and nearby islands was wonderful. I'm not sure how the rooms are. The pool at the meridien is kind of small but it feels like you are swimming in the sky because of the view from there.

Hope this help!
May 14th, 2004, 05:36 AM

Rooms are very nice at Le Meridien.
There are two pools in fact (the infinity one on the hill and another one by the beach).

There is a diving center and they also let snorkelling equipment (coral reef in the water next to the beach).

Search this Thread