Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Koh Samui (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/koh-samui-442535/)

Nicnoss Jun 14th, 2004 08:06 PM

Koh Samui

Hi all! Me and my future husband are going for our honeymoon to Thailand and I would like to know which island in the Samui archipielago is best for us. We would like a place with lovely beaches, good sea food, nice beachfront hotel (preferably cottages)and some town action (so we don't have to be dependant on the hotel's nightlife). We have been considering Koh Pha Ngan, as we were told it was not so busy and touristic as Koh Samui and not so quiet as Koh Tao, any suggestions otherwise? Any hotel recomendations? We will be staying in Samui from sept 2 to sept 4.
Thanks!

buchu Jun 14th, 2004 09:54 PM

Hi Nicnoss,

My husband and I had our honeymoon on Samui and Koh Tao. We stayed at the magnificent Chawang Regent on Samui, and at Sensi Paradise on Koh Tao. I loved both places, but Samui is probably a bit more civilised/touristy/dirty (take your pick!) Koh Tao was a great experience, but it was quite rustic. But the beaches were the best I have ever seen. The BEST snorkelling I have experienced. Sensi Paradise was lovely, but did not have aircond, so if you need it then so be it. The best beach was Jansom's Bay - Clown fish etc come right up and nibble your feet. Awesome! Mango Bay is also terrific - you can cheaply hire boats to take you around the island. Some mates of ours own bars on the island too - Seamonkey, Venus Park and Dragon Bar. Good places to enjoy a cocktail. So, in short Koh Tao is great if you're into a less touristy feel.

JamesA Jun 15th, 2004 04:17 AM

I agree with Buchu, Koh Samui if you want a tourist island with restaurants, bars, clubs, shopping etc etc, Koh Tao if you want quieter and are into diving, thopugh accommodation is far more limited than koh Samui, perhaps you could base on Samui and then add a few days on Koh Tao and get the best of both worlds!

JamesA Jun 15th, 2004 04:18 AM

Top place on Koh Tao is the Coral grand.
On Samui you have a wide choice, tell us your budget as prices range from $20 to $1000 a night!!

Nicnoss Jun 15th, 2004 07:52 AM

Thank you very much for your coments! realy helpful... We were wondering, have any of you been to Koh Pha Ngan?? we though this would be a middle point between Koh Samui (busy) and Koh Tao (quiet), any coments?

JamesA Jun 15th, 2004 02:04 PM

Koh Phangan is famous for the Full Moon Parties but it is a nice island in it's one right, there are several other islands nearby you can get to by boat, but dod remember these places are quiet, sure you can get a drink and listen to music but don't expect any nightlife or shopping. These islands are still relatively undeveloped when compared with say Samui or Phuket, good to see you venturing out! if you plan to head up North remember also, Chiang Mai is the country's 2nd largest city, if you want some remote places and some Undiscovered Thailand ( though with decent accommodation ) take a browse of the Kooloo.com forums for Undiscovered Thailand, you will also find info about smaller islands, beaches and such.