How many days for Bangkok, Chiang Mai and Cambodia

Old Feb 27th, 2005, 07:45 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Author: glsebs
Date: 02/26/2005, 05:57 pm
Message: We are taking a cruise that leaves from Singapore. We wanted to do a few days in Thailand and Cambodia before the cruise. We have been to Bangkok before and would only need one night there to recover from our jet lag. We would like to go to Siam Reap and Chiang Mai. What is the minimum time needed to see both of these places? Would 5 days for both be enough?

Old Feb 27th, 2005, 09:31 AM

Three days is the amount of time it takes to see the so-called major temples at Angkor. If you are really interested in the Khmer temples, you can easily fill a week (I did). Do some reading before you go, it'll help you decide how much time you need. I recommend Dawn Rooney's book, Angkor as great both for preparation for the trip and as a guide to take along. If you do a search on Angkor on this board, you'll find many dozens of opinions on how long to spend at Angkor.

Personally, if I only had 5 days, I'd spend it all at Angkor.
Old Feb 27th, 2005, 09:38 AM

i thought i posted to this site yesterday???? i would take 1 day for travel and 4 full days at siem reap...skip CM...its not all that great imo.....SR on the other hand is fabulous...
Old Feb 27th, 2005, 09:39 AM

hire a guide/driver in advance in Sr...your hotel will arrange this for you... it will make all the difference in your stay...cost $20-25 per day each
Old Feb 27th, 2005, 10:38 AM

There are answers to this post on a thread a bit down.
Old Feb 27th, 2005, 11:18 PM

Kathie or anyone else who has gone to more remote temples - I read that "stiff boots," repellant, etc. are needed. Any idea why the boots - uneven ground? Snakes? Just curious.
BTW, Kathie, the photos on your friend's web site are beautiful - interesting commentaries, too.
Old Feb 28th, 2005, 06:55 AM

I would not wear "stiff boots" to Angkor. It is sooo hot. But the ground is uneven (everywhere) and there are huge stone steps (some sized for elephants) to climb. I wouldn't wear flip-flops either. (I saw a French woman and her daughter trying to tour the temples in flip flops and it was precarious). Wear something comfortable that will protect your feet. Some people opt for well-ventilated running shoes. I chose Merrill Jungle Mocs. There are those who rave abour wearing Tevas the whole time, but at some of the sites, I don't think they give your feet enough protection.

Glad you enjoyed the photos.