Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   King of Thailand hospitalized (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/king-of-thailand-hospitalized-742699/)

glorialf Oct 14th, 2007 08:37 AM

King of Thailand hospitalized

Reports say it's a blood clot in his leg.

Mango7 Oct 14th, 2007 08:40 AM

I heard it was a mild left cerebral stroke

glorialf Oct 14th, 2007 05:04 PM

I find it sad that all of us who love thailand are quick to respond to messages about restaurnts, hotels and shopping but don't seem overly interested in something that actually matters to the people in the country.

travelduo Oct 14th, 2007 06:24 PM

From what I read Mango seems right. Three days in the hospital is what I read. My wife and I will wear our yellow shirts tomorrow:)

Kathie Oct 14th, 2007 06:39 PM

Gloria, I wouldn't interpret people not responding to this post as indicating a lack of interest. Cheryl and I talked about the King and his hospitalization over dinner tonight. We are awaiting further word on his status.

rhkkmk Oct 14th, 2007 06:56 PM

we wish him the best....he is the backbone of that country....

KimJapan Oct 14th, 2007 07:21 PM

Lack of response does not indicate lack of concern or compassion. What do you want people to say?

Really, what is there to say about it...we could all speculate about what the problem is, how it came about, and the prognosis and treatment. What good would that do? It would be a discussion based on speculation with few if any medical opinions and I'm sure none of those would be from anyone directly involved. Speculation and rumors can actually be harmful, especially where politics is involved, and the news is already doing enough of that, talking about the possibility of unstability leading up to December elections.

hawaiiantraveler Oct 14th, 2007 08:17 PM

Our prayers for his speedy recovery

Aloha!

Bisbee Oct 15th, 2007 12:40 AM

You sent this message on a Sunday. The board is usually slow on the weekends. I would think that most Fodorites are out enjoying themselves or getting things done they can't get done during the week rather than checking Fodor's. I'm sure it will get more response tomorrow.

God bless the King.

Gpanda Oct 15th, 2007 01:56 AM

We all hope for the King's speedy recovery. We've been there a number of times on his birthday and singing.

koreaprincess Oct 15th, 2007 02:37 AM

When we were in Thailand last year, we were so impressed by our guide's love of the king. We wish him a speedy recovery. kp

Pulley Oct 15th, 2007 03:07 AM

I agree with KimJapan. Our son lives in Bangkok and "Skyped" us with the news. We too have a yellow bands and hats in honor of the king and wish him a speedy recovery.

Guenmai Oct 15th, 2007 09:50 AM

I have no computer access on the weekends, plus the forum is slow then. I'm just getting the news. Happy Travels!

Gpanda Oct 15th, 2007 11:41 AM

In honor of the King, I wore my one and only yellow dress shirt to court.

SirHalberd Oct 15th, 2007 12:17 PM

The Thai people have a genuine love and respect for their king. He has been the glue to keep the country together for many years!

The king has made hospitals available throughout the country with easy access for the locals with low prices. Every town and province you ride through you will notice the green cross indicating a hospital. The king and his administration mandated fixed prices at pharmacies to make medicines available at low prices for everyone.

The king has been personally involved in improving and modernizing agriculture and conservation of natural resources for a long time.

When you have dictators and petty tyrants in other countries terrorizing and robbing their countrymen, it is good to see a ruler who, for the most part, put the well being and welfare of his countrymen first!