Khao sok national park in July?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20th, 2011, 09:15 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am crazy to plan a 3 day excusrion to Khao Sok national park? We want to spend a few days there hiking / canoeing , etc. Can you still do these things if it rains? or does everything come to a standstill and close? We are not afraid of a bit of rain, but then again have never experienced asia or their monsoons.

As an alternative to Khoa sok we are considering Kanchanaburi. We wanted to fill the 3 days with some nature / hiking / relaxing. We are already spending some time up north. Which would you recommend at that time of the year?
Old Apr 20th, 2011, 04:13 PM

If it is raining, and the chances of that in July are quite high, you will find hiking and walking hard in a natural environments. Apart from the rains, there will be insects and leeches that often come out more with the wet weather.

If you do hike Khao Sok and the weather is bad you can always go to a nearby beach resort and relax instead. To purposely fly to the South of Thailand with the aim of hiking for just 3 days I think you might be dissapointed if there is a bad weather system in the area.

I don't think anyone can say with certainty which area or national park will be better as with all outdoor activities the weather is the key factor IMO. Perhaps something closer to Bangkok so that if the weather is bad you can easily return to do some other activities or touring in the city?
Old Apr 21st, 2011, 02:51 AM

weather2travel.com

early monsoon season in that area not too conducive

to quality touristic experience in that area.

always try to travel in late fall winter early spring

for best experience.

No fun to travel long distances just to watch rain

from my hotel room.

Good luck!
Old Apr 21st, 2011, 03:05 AM

We've been going to that part of Thailand every July for the last ten years or so and we have never had rain cancel any of our activities for an extended period of time. In fact, we have pretty much seen the rainy seasons drastically change over the last few years. Our last summer in Thailand could've been called the dry season...And the current dry season could be called the worst monsoon in decades! If you are banking on two specific dates to be rain free, you may be disappointed but then again, they may be great! No guarantees of course.