Kerala, India - 10 day holiday

Apr 6th, 2015, 10:11 AM
Original Poster

Kerala, India - 10 day holiday

My first post! My husband just learned he will be teaching in Bangalore during the first week of June. Consequently, we'd like to take the last 2 weeks of May to visit. I have already contacted a few travel agencies but received only one reply back from Mr. Singh of Legends & Palaces. Here is his suggested itinerary:
Mysore (1n)-Kabini, Orange County Kabini (2n)-Wyand, Tranquil Home-stay(2n)-Kozhikode where we take train to Cochin (1n)-Munnas, Windermere (2n)-Kumarakom, Kumarakom Lake Resort (2n)-Bangalore.
A few questions:
Does the itinerary seem rushed?
Kabini, Orange County looks wonderful. Perhaps a 3rd night there?
I would like to add a night to Cochin since we arrive after 5pm and leave after breakfast the next day for Munnar. Should we bother with a stay at Kumarakom if we are in Kochi? Extend stay in Kochi and do a day trip to Kumarakom?
Am hearing wonderful things about the new Panoramic Getaway Hotel. Thinking to switch from Windermere to Panoramic.
Thank you for reading this long, long post. Since we leave in a month, I need to commit to something soon. Luba
Apr 6th, 2015, 10:27 AM

It would be too rushed for me. I prefer not to have any 1 night stays and prefer to have very few 2 night stays.
Apr 6th, 2015, 10:46 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for your reply and I agree. That's why I was questioning the pace. I think I need to slow it down and maybe remove one location, but which one!?
Apr 6th, 2015, 01:24 PM

Definitely too rushed, plus Mysore deserves more than one night. Especially if you do a day trip to the magnificent temples at Belur and Halebid.
Apr 9th, 2015, 12:04 PM
Original Poster

It appears we will not be traveling this May. My husband's project has been moved to July! July in Kerala? Should I bother joining him? I'm so disappointed.
Apr 18th, 2015, 08:00 AM

Hi Luba,
July will be beautiful weather. Monsoons but definitively worth it. The above itinerary seems very rushed.
Trim it down a little and you will enjoy your stay.
Let me know if your trip is still on. Could help you out a little
Apr 18th, 2015, 10:20 AM

If the trip is still on, regarding Indian travel agents, I found in my 1 experience that they begin negotiations with the kind of trip they seem to believe westerners want, to see everything they can possibly squeeze into a given time frame. My trip that time, my first of now several in India, took form over several weeks of emails, with me ultimately rejecting probably 2/3 of the suggestions for longer stays where I wanted to be and different style hotels than those originally suggested.

I'm not saying an agent isn't useful, they are, putting all the pieces together and making bookings, before you have a sense of how to do it yourself, and they can save you money. But do your own research regarding every aspect and be firm in your requests. I was ultimately very happy with what I got but it was definitely a process.
Apr 24th, 2015, 01:32 AM

Hi Luba,

I stay in Bangalore and am originally from Kerala so I have a perspective on both places. I would suggest you could still do the trip because the monsoons in Kerala are something to be enjoyed. It's a phenomenon. The itinerary is indeed a bit rushed and given that monsoons wreak havoc on the traffic everywhere in India the going will be slow anywhere. How many days are you planning to be in Kerala? I could suggest a better itinerary and even help you out.
Apr 26th, 2015, 11:30 PM

The itinerary seems fine and is not hectic. However it would be better if you can ask them to add a night on houseboat in Alleppey (backwaters). If you are going to south India, you must visit backwaters. You can take it in between munnar and Kumarakom. If you cannot stretch your itinerary than probably you can skip kumarakom and can have your last night in Kochi (at Brutons boatyard. As you are already staying at at too many resorts so skipping Kumarakom lake resort, will not matter much. But Visiting backwater will certainly add up to your experience.
Gateway is a new construction but Windermere has got character. lactation is the another advantage, Services are at par with any other big chain hotels. All in all there is no other property like winder mere in Mumnar. And 2 night are enough for orange county.