Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Kathie--this may interest you (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/kathie-this-may-interest-you-551886/)

laurieco Aug 15th, 2005 09:04 AM

Kathie--this may interest you

Kathie (or anyone else), I thought you may be interested in this show. The Travel Channel finally has a good show, called "No Reservations", with Anthony Bourdain, and on August 22 at 10pm Eastern time, he is doing a show called "into The Jungle" and will be exploring Malaysian and jungle cusine, including that of Borneo.

If you don't know anything about Anthony Bourdain, he is a chef, author (and former junkie) with a wonderful sense of humor. He'll try anything and is extremely funny and informative as well. He used to have a show on the Food TV Network called "A Cook's Tour", which Eric and I loved and were disappointed when it went off the air. He's now on the Travel Channel and the new show is quite similar. Anyone who loves food and travel should check this show out. You can get into on it at the Travel Channel website: http://travel.discovery.com/fansites.../bourdain.html

laurieco Aug 15th, 2005 09:07 AM

I should have mentioned that tonight's show is on Vietnam.

hawaiiantraveler Aug 15th, 2005 09:28 AM

laurie
thanks for sharing....that guy will eat anything. Will be watching.
Aloha!

eurotraveller Aug 15th, 2005 09:51 AM

I love Anthony Bourdain! It is not your run-of-the mill travel show. It is definitely rated R with some of the content. Very entertaining!

laurieco Aug 15th, 2005 07:26 PM

I just watched the Vietnam episode and it was quite good. Bourdain is very irreverent and funny. He travels to parts of Northern Vietnam that are not yet on the tourist route but apparently the VN government hopes to change that very soon. The show is repeated during the week if anyone on the east coast wants to see it (it airs 10pm PT for those of you on the west coast).

cruisinred Aug 16th, 2005 09:54 AM

I saw the Vietnam episode too and thought it was quite funny in a very scaracastic way. Not sure that I could have eaten the porcipine! Looking forward to the Malaysia episode next week. Laurieco- Did you see the leeches in the trailer for next week's show? Better spend $ on those expensive anti-leech socks ;)

rhkkmk Aug 16th, 2005 10:01 AM

don't forget to bring me pets

laurieco Aug 16th, 2005 01:37 PM

cruisinred, yes, I did see the trailer and my checkbook is out! I thought leeches were small. Did you see the size of that thing? YIKES!

Bob, you may reconsider these as pets if you watch next week's show.

Kathie Aug 16th, 2005 01:52 PM

Laurie, I'll await your review of this show (I don't have a tv). Given the leech comments maybe we'll both decide to travel elsewhere!

laurieco Aug 16th, 2005 02:00 PM

Kathie, I was going to suggest recording the show on a DVD and I would snail mail it to you but if you don't have a TV, I guess you don't have a DVD either. If you know someone who does have a DVD (and TV), I'd be more than happy to record it and send.

Kathie Aug 16th, 2005 02:30 PM

Laurie, thanks for the offer. My Mac plays dvds. After you watch the show, let me know if you think it would be worth me seeing.

Gpanda Aug 16th, 2005 02:30 PM

His book, "Kitchen Confidential" is very entertaining. He's written several mystery book which are so-so.

laurieco Aug 16th, 2005 02:55 PM

Kathie, will do. If I think you should see it, I'll send you a DVD of it.

I've heard that "Kitchen Confidential" became something of a hit worldwide. I'd like to read it but I'm afraid that after doing so, I may never want to eat out again.

Kathie Aug 16th, 2005 03:35 PM

laurie, I've had the same caution about reading his book... So id the show is too yucky I don't want to see it!

eurotraveller Aug 16th, 2005 06:57 PM

Laurieco, when is the show airing again? I forgot to watch it!

laurieco Aug 16th, 2005 07:10 PM

eurotraveller, it's on again Monday, Aug 21 at 10pm according to the website. It was very good and you see some beautiful scenery in VN.

laurieco Aug 17th, 2005 03:29 AM

Make that SUNDAY Aug 21.

laurieco Aug 25th, 2005 03:35 AM

Kathie, the Malaysia show was quite good. The first half was in KL but the second half in Borneo. Only one leech scene, and it was near the beginning. I think you might enjoy it (not the leech scene!) Great scenery and informative about the Iban as well. If you send me your address, I'll make a DVD and mail it. I'm sure you don't want to post your address here and I'm not thrilled about putting my email on such a public forum, but I'll put up my "throw-away" email and you can send me your address there.
[email protected]

Kathie Aug 25th, 2005 12:31 PM

Laurie, many thanks. I will email you tonight.

Kathie Sep 11th, 2005 03:22 PM

Laurie, many thanks for sending the dvd of the show. It was interesting to get a flavor (ahem!) for what we'll be seeing in Borneo.

I thought the leech scene wasn't too bad. They looked cute - just what Bob ordered. And the leeches weren't nearly as big as the ones in the famous leech scene from the African Queen.

Actually, I thought the most repulsive meal was in KL - bull's penis stew is definitely not on my menu!

Thanks again, Laurie!