Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Kathie, Bob, Marmot, Cierone and the rest, Now Which Hotel in Bali &SIN?? Need advice pls!

Search

Kathie, Bob, Marmot, Cierone and the rest, Now Which Hotel in Bali &SIN?? Need advice pls!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17th, 2008, 06:49 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello,
Reading many hotels & Villas reviews, I cannot decide to choose Villas or stay at the hotel(such as Conrad, Ritz, Samaya, Royal Pita Maha and etc. Our budget is around $300 to $350 per night in Bali. I want beautiful grounds, nice view, comfy bed and good service. Hotel on the ocean would be nice too. My husband likes marble and luxury but I like some Balinese feel to the hotel too and we are not into antique hotel. In Singapore, budget is $300 a night. which hotel do you recommend? Thank you.
Old Sep 17th, 2008, 07:27 PM

In Singapore, I recommend Raffles the Plaza, which is now part of the Fairmont group. Last I checked all the those names were still listed for the hotel. Great location right above an MRT station, walking distance to lots of good restaurants, etc.

So many options in Bali, I leave those recommendations to those who have been there more recently than I've been.
Old Sep 17th, 2008, 10:34 PM

Raffles the plaza is a great idea (great location for the MRT) i would also suggest The Fullerton (although the location for shopping isnt as good but good for the quays etc)

Or The Scarlett which is in China Town, which is a trendy hotel.
I have also read about a hotel called 1929 prices are meant to be VERY reasonable (but i havent been so can't vouch for that one)
Old Sep 18th, 2008, 05:36 AM

The Fullerton looks lovely, but it's not a great location for the MRT - about a 10 minute walk if I remember correctly. (Correct me if I'm wrong, Smeagol) For me, being close to the MRT is important because it gives such quick and easy access to most of the city. The Fullerton's rooms are rather small.

The Scarlet, while trendy, has a fair number of rooms with no windows. I understand the 1929 is similar.
Old Sep 18th, 2008, 06:28 AM

Kathie agree the location of the Fullerton for the MRT is not the best but i got the impression the OP wanted something modern (which the fullerton is) although its proximity to clarke and boat quay is good (if you wanted to be close to there - although i personally am not keen)
I think the scarlett could offer an alternative location for great value.
That said still think The raffles the plaza location is hard to beat!!!
Old Sep 18th, 2008, 07:11 AM

I've been vacationing in Singapore, almost annually, for a decade. I've stayed at both The Raffles Plaza and the Fullerton and not that long ago. They are both excellent choices. I was the first guest to try out the new renovated room that I was given at the Raffles Plaza.

The Fullerton is not far from the MRT station. It's less than a 5-minute walk along the very nice canal....no big deal of a walk. Of the two hotels, I would definitely pick the Fullerton.

And as for it not being close to the main shopping, Singapore isn't that big. The Fullerton is only a couple of MRT stops from the the Raffles Plaza Hotel. It's easy to take the MRT, or taxis which are inexpensive. The Fullerton is a couple of MRT stops from the Raffles Plaza.

One big advantage of the Fullerton is that it's not in the very crowded area that the Raffles Plaza is in and the MRT station near the Fullerton isn't crowded.

And, yes, The Raffles Plaza is connected to the mall and the MRT station, but I find the Fullerton in a much more interesting, prettier, and more peaceful surrounding. Plus, the Asian Civilization Museum is right there, directly across the bridge from it, and the Indochine restaurant...which I've eaten at for years... although not at that particular location...is right there along the canal. I always eat at the one on Club Street which is an interesting area,too.

I've recommended Indochine restaurant for years and I remember Laurieco posting that she tried the one along the canal and found that to be the best food that she'd eaten on that trip to Singapore. The only reason that I haven't eaten at that particular location is that they only serve dinner...unless things have changed. The Club Street one serves both lunch and dinner.

Plus, the Fullerton has a very popular restaurant inside...can't remember the name off the top of my head right now. Happy Travels!
Old Sep 18th, 2008, 07:38 AM

Guen
When we ate a Indochine (which i admit was a couple of years ago) i thought the food VERY average, expensive and the service so so. (i am talking about the one on? boat quay - or is it clarke quay - always get them mixed up) anyway i would never eat there again.
I also found the "bar food" in the post bar of the Fullerton to be very average BUT i loved the cocktails and the vibe of the place.

Old Sep 18th, 2008, 08:11 AM

Smeagol...I have gotten consistently excellent food at the one on Club Street. Many years ago, I first wandered into the one that used to be a few blocks from the Rendevous Hotel which is across from the YMCA International House Hotel..where I've stayed for years.
When I discovered the first one, I was hungry and wandering the streets looking for somewhere to eat and just wandered in. I had never heard of Indochine.

I walked down the driveway, as it was located in a house-type of structure,but was told that I had just missed the lunch hours. I told them that I'd just gotten to Singapore and was really hungry, so they seated me and cooked up a great meal for me. I was the only person in the restaurnt. I then asked if there were other locations in the city. They gave me a list.

That Indochine restaurant is no longer there. But, the food was so good until, on the same trip, I tried the Club Street one and found it as good.

Now, as I said, I haven't eaten at the Boat Quay one, but I remember Laurieco posting about it after I had recommended it. For what I ordered, I was more than satisfied. I don't eat meat or poultry, however, so I don't know about those dishes. I do eat fish and vegan dishes. Laurieco is not vegetarian as I sat next to her at the Thai restaurant where the post Boston GTG dinner was held. So, she probably tried a variety of dishes. Who knows, maybe it was an off day for you or maybe cooks or management has changed. There's also one on Orchard Rd. right at the Orchard MRT station and the same manager there is the manager that was at the Club Street one. There's also one out in the expat village. Happy Travels!
Old Sep 18th, 2008, 08:17 AM

As for the Fullerton, I was speaking of the restaurant inside of the hotel, not the bar. Happy Travels!
Old Sep 18th, 2008, 09:41 AM

Kathie...Are you in Honolulu with the gang or at home? I haven't kept up with the Honolulu GTG thread. Happy Travels!
Old Sep 18th, 2008, 11:03 AM

Hi, Guen, we wish we were in Honolulu, but we're in Seattle. Heading up to visit my mother tomorrow and (hopefully) do the last of the tasks to get her settled in to her new place.
Old Sep 18th, 2008, 11:18 AM

I'm really glad you're getting her settled in.
Next year, we'll have to hit Honolulu by force! Smiles.

I can't believe how four years have passed by so fast since the three of us went to the first Honolulu GTG. Boy was it great or what? And how we just all hit it off immediatedly.

I wonder what ever happened to IsisMonroe? Remember, she was at the first Honolulu GTG? I last saw her at Face Bangkok when she put together our 4-person GTG in which Rizzuto was present. That was a relaxing evening. Happy Travels!
Old Sep 18th, 2008, 01:36 PM
CFW

We are considering the shophouse rooms at the Intercontinental. We like old world atmosphere (with up to date comfort)rather than modern. The IC has great reviews on Trip Advisor but none of the fodorites seem to mention it. How is the location in terms of interesting things to see & places to eat & distance from the MRT?
Old Sep 18th, 2008, 01:57 PM

We really loved the Oberoi in Semanyak, Bali. It's quiet, but close to some VERY good restaurants and the setting and cottages are just beautiful.
Old Sep 18th, 2008, 02:28 PM

Getting back to Bali, do you want to be on the ocean or in(near) Ubud? Or both, depending on how much time you will be there. We stayed at the Oberoi for 2 nights to get over jet lag - - it was perfect for that (we got upgraded to an oceanfront villa, it was lovely). When I return to Bali, I won't go back to the beach, which I don't think is anything special at all.
Old Sep 18th, 2008, 06:55 PM

CFW...Where is the Intercontinental you're talking about? And is this shophouse room thing something new? I was last in Singapore in either Aug 2006 or 2007. Happy Travels!
Old Sep 18th, 2008, 07:11 PM

OK...I looked the Intercontinental up. There are SO many hotels in Singapore until it's a big blur.

I've been inside of that hotel and have picked up a brochure with a price list. It's on the Bugis Junction shopping center complex where I buy my Kipling luggage products and it's about 400 meters from Arab street where I buy all of my Indonesian batiks.I've been there many times. The area around Bugis Junction is nice. But, I remember the hotel prices there were high.

As for the shophouse rooms, I'm totally into the shophouse look, but, from what I saw on the website, as in the photos of the rooms, I didn't see anything really shophouse about them. It just looked like another Intercontinental. What website did you go to to see shophouse-style rooms?

Like I said previously, the location is good to Arab Street and walking around in that area, but the hotel is in a very crowded area as it sits in the middle of the Bugis Junction mall complex and with lots of folks walking around. I've never been a big fan of Bugis Junction. I'll stay with my pick of the Fullerton. Happy Travels!
Old Sep 18th, 2008, 07:11 PM

Clear...as for Bali, stay in Ubud. Happy Travels!
Old Sep 18th, 2008, 08:13 PM

In Bali The Legian Suites or Four Seasons Jimbaran
Old Sep 19th, 2008, 05:06 AM

clear, we all have our favorites (which I think is the sign of a place that satisfies its customers) so I'll give you mine.

In Singapore I prefer the Four Seasons. Location that is convenient to Orchard Road, the subway, the Botanical Gardens. Flawless service, comfortable rooms -- which were just renovated. I HATE the Western restaurant cum coffee shop but there's a club floor that's pleasant for breakfast and the Chinese restaurant is really good, even if there are just two of you.

[ I'm actually going to Singapore next week and because of the Formula 1 event in Singapore next week the Four Seasons was fully booked so I'm staying at the new St. Regis. Any one have impressions?]

On the beach in Bali I've been staying at the Legian in Seminyak (be careful there are two Legians) for over ten years and I just can't get enough of it. It's beautifully situated on a long, wide sunset beach. The rooms are big with roomy seaview balconies. The pool is lovely, the grounds are serene, the service is topnotch, the aesthetic very Balinese. I'm not particularly fond of the Legian's restaurant -- except for breakfast -- but it's within walking distance of two of the best restaurants in Bali. Plus Seminyak offers plenty of choices in restaurants, spas, shops, clubs.

In Ubud I'm also very boring: I've been staying at the Alila since it opened in 1995. I always get a "suite" which is really a big room with a spectacular view and a wrap around terrace. To me it's one of the best deals in Bali. The Alila's architecture is a bit quirky; some find it too contemporary, but it is Balinese to the core in spirit. Stunning pool, good food, excellent access to nature and cutural activities.

One more week to go then I'm off to Bali for the Islamic holidays following Ramadhan. Guess where I'm staying?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -