Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Karen's Chiang Mai photos - new link (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/karens-chiang-mai-photos-new-link-599873/)

althom1122 Mar 16th, 2006 06:10 PM

Karen's Chiang Mai photos - new link

I tried Photo Site for my Chiang Mai photos and think I like it a lot better. Have a look!

http://kbutler8.photosite.com/

And in case you missed my earlier ones (Bangkok/Mae Hong Son), they can be found at:

http://kbutler1122.multiply.com/photos

rhkkmk Mar 16th, 2006 07:21 PM

that works much better....fabulous pics....thanks

Kippy Mar 17th, 2006 01:11 AM

much better link, Karen and fantastic photos.

The new rooms at Baan Orapin look lovely - quite different in style to the other rooms.

Aaah - the baby elephants. One of them kept dropping bananas until I started peeling them for her - aaah

alibi13 Mar 17th, 2006 03:21 AM

Hey Karen,

Loved your pictures. Especially the one with Sergeant Kai. I was thinking, "those waterfall pictures look familiar". Did you go to the national park, Doi Inthanon, about 55 miles south of the city? We loved it there.

We also went to the Elephant Conservation Center, but on a different day, and not with Sergeant Kai. We loved it there too.

bondgirl78 Mar 17th, 2006 05:41 AM

your photos are awesome - i am DYING to go to Thailand even more now!!

peppersalt Mar 18th, 2006 05:36 AM

Great pictures, we will be in Bangkok and Chaing Mai in May. Have been to BKK twice, but never to CM. You gave some good ideas as to things to do in CM. Again wonderful pics.

pat Mar 18th, 2006 08:48 AM

Karen, great pictures. In your picture "two heads are better than one", just what is that?? I`m thinking of going vegetarian on this trip!

althom1122 Mar 18th, 2006 05:24 PM

I KNOW. Is that freaky, or what? It was some kind of pig or boar or something. I didn't look too closely. But I couldn't resist a photo.
:-)

(And actually, the vegetables were the best food we had on the trip, in my opinion! The stir-fried vegetables were excellent everywhere - it's like you couldn't go wrong with them.)

moolyn Mar 23rd, 2006 07:27 PM

Your photos were great. They brought back memories of my four weeks in Thailand in January 2004. I even recognized your cooking instructor, Julie. Wasn't she wonderful?

JennPBD Mar 24th, 2006 08:53 AM

Great photos. I am even more excited about our trip to Thailand in July. The Baan Orapin looks great. I am glad I booked there!

pebbles13 Mar 24th, 2006 11:54 AM

Beautiful pictures!!!

What was the "Cabaret Calypso" thing? It looked very interesting.

althom1122 Mar 24th, 2006 04:03 PM

Yes - cooking instructor was wonderful! Yui, though, not Julie! (Julie's my daughter.) :-)

Jenn, I think you'll love Baan Orapin. Really nice breakfast area outside on a deck. About six menu options for breakfast.

Pebbles, the Cabaret Calypso was a "lady-boy" show (all men - at least some of whom had obviously had surgery) at the Asia Hotel. Lots of fun. Book in advance (you can have your hotel concierge do it for you). I think it was about $20 - includes one drink. Show's a little over an hour.

vik13 Mar 25th, 2006 06:51 PM

Hi Karen, really enjoying your photos and trip review. The postcard style pictures are pro quality, but I especially appreciate your people shots. 107-year-old lady is an instant classic. This is my first time in Thailand and I'm heading out alone. I liked reading that you and your daughter invited a solo traveler to go out with you. You and Julie look calm, cool and collected in all pics -- was heat ever a problem for you? I'm booked for 8 nights at Baan Orapin in April. I'm a little concerned because that's supposed to be the hottest month. Any hints? Vicki

rhkkmk Mar 25th, 2006 08:33 PM

karen---what can i say except that the pics are simply fabulous...

we loved them....even though it is midnight, we jammed up to the computer and looked at each one..

karen did comment that the pics look even nicer and the sites even nice without the intense heat...haha

lots of good pics of the two of you!!

the expressions on the kids and people's faces are priceless...

you capturted the look of each town and area

thanks for sharring

bob

althom1122 Mar 26th, 2006 05:06 AM

Vic - thanks for your comments on my photos! That 107-year-old woman was awesome. I took four shots of her - and in two of them she had her hand in front of her face (the one thing I hate about digital cameras is the lag time from when you press the shutter until when it actually takes the picture). In the other two, I had moved to a different location and the background made her face wash out. Sigh.
Regarding the heat, it is intense (and April will be worse!) and it does take a toll. The hardest day for us was when we went to the Grand Palace. There's not much shade and it's very crowded. Toward the end, I remember Julie telling me she really needed to get out of the sun. It's hard to be outside very long from 11 to about 3. In Cambodia, we always took a break during that period. So, best advice would be to get up and get going early (hard for my daughter!), and then take a break late morning - have lunch somewhere cool and if possible go back to your a/c room and just stay out of the sun until around 3. Also... drink lots of water (and/or fruitshakes!) and be sure to use sunscreen every day - just apply it in the morning as part of your routine. The other advice - use a driver. Being able to come back to an air conditioned car is wonderful. At Angkor Wat, I loved it that we could tour a temple, then come back to our waiting car - and Dara would always get us cold bottles of water out of the cooler he kept in the trunk.
Thanks, Bob, glad you're enjoying the pictures. I have just two more sets to put out there (more Siem Reap) - and then I'm done!

althom1122 Mar 26th, 2006 05:38 AM

Vik - one other comment regarding traveling alone. We talked to several single travelers and they said it was easy to meet people. One woman told us she preferred traveling alone - because she could choose to be with people when she wanted to be or be alone when she wanted. In Chiang Mai (and elsewhere), there's always the option of joining a group for a day-long excursion (or longer), so you can have company when you want it. And I think you'll find people very approachable. Others travelers will naturally bring you in if they notice you by yourself. At Baan Orapin, the breakfast area is small, and I'm sure people will talk to you if you seem open to it. Enjoy!

JamesA Mar 26th, 2006 10:18 AM

Great photos, spendt a nice while going thru them, really nice!

vik13 Mar 27th, 2006 01:36 PM

Karen, just want to thank you for the generous way you share your trip information. I have actually traveled on my own a lot, just not much recently. I had a husband, kids, sisters and friends who insisted on going along for many years. I am looking forward to the solo trip, especially since I can afford Thailand without worrying about how expensive it is not to have someone to share the room cost. I actually picked Baan Orapin partly because Opas was so friendly in his e-mail responses and partly because it looks small and intimate and I won't be so tempted to isolate. I have a complicated life and I do love my alone time -- but I want to get the most possible from my short sojourn in Thailand.
I have also booked a cooking class with A Lot of Thai on your recommendation The baby looks a bit like my grandson.

vik13 Mar 27th, 2006 07:19 PM

One more question (?) what about tipping in Thailand? Have read it's not as customary as in U.S. or even Europe. But what about cooking class or Sergeant Kai or other drivers? Restaurants, massages? I tend to be an overtipper (10 years as a waitress while never finishing college will do that to you), but I absolutely don't want to insult anyone.

rhkkmk Mar 27th, 2006 07:49 PM

vik---then be generous