first time traveler to Singapore

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2nd, 2013, 02:04 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have read these forums avidly and frankly stunned by the good advice. I have a sudden trip coming up for a conference in Singapore August 19, 20, 21. 2013. My husband will be joining me. We would like to add a one week vacation after the 22nd. We live in Minnesota. Should we go directly to Singapore?- some are suggesting stopping a few days on the way. Should we just spend 10 days in Singapore or branch out?

I am very excited about the trip- I like spa-like experiences- we both like museums and libraries, and architecture. (we both like to eat well) I am not hardy and walk with assistance ( a crutch) and use an electric scooter at times.
I know this is short amount of time to plan. any advice would be welcome.
Old Jun 2nd, 2013, 02:58 PM

No, don't spend all 10 days in SIngapore, choose another destination to explore as well. Bali comes immediately to mind - lots of wonderful spas, lovely hotels, accessible unique culture. Bali would present some challenges in terms of your mobility, as you'll need to choose a hotel that doesn't have a lot of stairs. One of our local experts could help you with that.

ANother option would be Bangkok. It is another big city, but it has amazing wats (Buddhist temples) it sounds like you would enjoy. It also has wonderful hotels at reasonable prices. The spas in Bangkok are renowned, and the food is fabulous.

An option for a small place would be to visit Georgetown, Penang, a world heritage site that is famous for it's hawker food. You can stay at the E&O Hotel - a lovely old colonial era hotel in the midst of historic Georgetown.

The options are endless. Tell us more and we can offer more suggestions.
Old Jun 2nd, 2013, 03:37 PM

I agree with Kathie that 10 days in Singapore would be too much, although please note that it is very accessible. There are excellent museums, etc., and lots you will be able to do in comfort, taking into account the warm weather and pacing accordingly. That said, the air conditioned museums will be welcomed.
Old Jun 2nd, 2013, 04:30 PM

Definitely add another destination to your trip. Singapore has a lot to offer, but it would be a shame to miss the opportunity to experience more of Asia. Each country has its unique character and culture, so your choice really depends on what appeals to you.

Libraries are far and few in Asia and museums -- except in more Westernized cities like Singapore -- underfunded and undeveloped. (Really, the culture is in many cases a living museum!) But for architecture and food all parts of Asia excel in different ways.

Again aside from Singapore, Asia is not particularly friendly to mobility challenges -- lots of stairs, uneven pavements, ups and downs. For the most part, people are kind and patient, though, and will figure out a way to help.

Will you be traveling with your scooter? If yes you may be better off staying with cities -- Bangkok, Hong Kong, Tokyo -- though even in those some attractions may not be accessible.

If you're just slow moving and careful, then consider Bali. Similarly some of the architecture may not be accessible -- multi-stepped temples for example -- but the overall ambiance of culture + nature provides a lot of gentle activities. Not the least of which is an abundance of spa and wellness options.

August is high season in Bali and many other parts of Asia, so book as soon as you can.
Old Jun 4th, 2013, 07:13 AM
Original Poster

Okay wise ones- There is a satellite conference in Bangkok- Fly from MN to west coast- change planes, then to japan, change plans, then to Bangkok. 4 days there (lost a day in the air) , then fly to Singapore, 5 days there. Thoughts?
Old Jun 4th, 2013, 07:47 AM

There is a lot to do in the region around Singapore, and Malaysia has some great destinations if you don't want to go far. Bangkok is nice for a couple of days, too. I wouldn't go out of your way to go to Japan since there is so much to do closer to Singapore and Bangkok.
Old Jun 4th, 2013, 08:31 AM

It sounds like you are only changing planes in Japan, which is the usual route to Singapore and Bangkok. However, look at flying to Narita non-stop from Chicago - it will save you some time vs. going to the west coast.

I think Bangkok and Singapore are a reasonable plan, though both are big cities, as I mentioned above. Bangkok is my favorite city in the world. You'll find Bangkok much more reasonably priced than Singapore.
Old Jun 4th, 2013, 03:35 PM

Greetings librarianlisa and early congrats on spending time in our fine home of Singapore. Hope you have a fine and productive stay in SIN; to date, the city-state has far exceeded my expectations as primary home port for work and residence.

Budget considerations in mind, would be honoured to offer lodging, dining, recreational and - given your handle - reading ideas for Singapore. One of my sisters is a full-on, lifetime bibliophile (her little country retreat is basically nothing but books), so when she visits us in Singapore, she never fails to spend time at the Bishan Public Library and one of my favourites, Polymath & Crust.

Regarding beloved Bangkok, will let other fine Fodorites offer the latest shopping and recreational ideas, as my current and brief BKK business trips are primarily airport, one office building and the Four Seasons hotel. (Should your BKK conference lodging be the FS, enjoy; I love that property.)

Re: travel from BKK to SIN, pleased to offer favourable departure suggestions with my main business carrier, Singapore Airlines.

Should Bali be a possibility, our recent long weekend stay at the Jimbaran Puri Bali (way too brief review on my profile page) was quite joyous, with some cherished friends in attendance.

More later, as on the road for work. I am very happy for you librarianlisa; savour your planning. Warm mid-week wishes to you and all,

macintosh (robert)

... Singapore Girl, You're a Great Way to Fly ...
Old Jun 6th, 2013, 05:52 PM
Original Poster

Thank you all. I am awaiting word from other attendees to their plans before finalizing mine. Will check in when I am more sure of my itinerary.
Old Jun 7th, 2013, 10:07 PM

You may want to consider Siem Reap, home to the angkor temples. It's only a 2 hour plane journey from Singapore and you can save a little by taking budget airlines.