Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Itinerary for 2 weeks in India - suggestions please!

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 4th, 2003, 09:06 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From 13 - 28 of September, inclusive, I plan to visit India. My partner and are are mid-30s, adventurous, fit and interested in culture and history and food. We have both had experience of holidays in 'hard' countries, and I have lived in China, Taiwan and other countries in Europe. In short, I am not a tourist that needs to be cossetted and have suffered culture shock before.

We are planning 4-5 days in Delhi (where our friends live) and then Rajasthan for 4 days and then Mumbai or Kerala for 5 days or so.

Anyone have any ideas? I want to see Udaipur and Jaipur, and feel that Delhi will be catered for in that our friend and his Indian wife will steer us in the right direction. So what about Mumbai and its environs? Is late September a good time for beaches in the Mumbai area? Indeed, are there any?
Old May 4th, 2003, 12:43 PM

I cannot imagine going to India and not seeing the Taj Mahal in Agra or visiting the Ganges River in Varanasi (Benares). Mumbei (Bombay) is a huge crammed metropolis that is no comparison to many other places. One look at the beaches and I believe that you will change your mind about swimming. Rajasthan (Jaipur, Udaipur, and Jaisalmer) is a good choice. Since you will be headquartered in Delhi, you could take the train to Agra (or get a car and driver for two days---it is not expensive) and then make the circuit to Khajuraho and Varanasi by plane, returning to Delhi by plane. September is a generally good time to visit India. ZZ
Old May 6th, 2003, 01:16 PM

Hi Nigel - Unless you are going to shop in Bombay, you may not enjoy the city as much.. esp. in September. There is very little to see other than the Gateway of India and some caves.. DO NOT go to Bombay for the beaches.. they are not safe. And besides Bombay is not known for its beaches.. you want beaches you go to Goa or Kerala.

Kerala on the other hand has much too much to offer. Lush forests, boat rides, and you can spend days exploring the cultural influences of the centuries worth of travel. Take good rain protective gear with you during that time and be prepared to sweat in the forests. Do not miss the sea food in Kerala. And massages with therapeutic oils.
I prefer Cochin over Trivandrum and I would definitely not miss Munnar and the North of Kerala.. Wynad

Good luck.
Old May 7th, 2003, 06:28 AM

Greetings NIGEL. First off, let me say that wo weeks in India,escpecially if ya are spending four days in Delhi, does not leave you with that much time and flexibility.You are gonna have to both plan wisely and definately take a few domestic flights if you want to cover two very differnt regions of India in that time period, North and far South..Flights will be costly, epecially flying into KERALA..I imagine you flite will take you in/out of Delhi, so this should also be a factor in your planning..You CAN EASILY utilize just ten days touring in Rajasthan alone, or as the other poster stated, vising both AGRA and VARANASI..However, I asume your hosts will prob take you to AGRA, and though I love Varansi, it is not everyones cup of TEA..If Rajasthan and kerala are the places you want to see, (def HIGLIGHT regions of INDIA), then this is what I might suggest in various configurations. Jaipur,Jodphur, Pushkar or Udaipur..Willl have time for only two/three places at max..Then, you are gonna have to get back to Delhi and fly to kerala, Cochi or Trivandrum(a few days there), and thenback to Delhi....OR, I know there is a flite from Udaipur in Rajasthan to BOMBAY..From Bombay you can spend a nite/and or connect tor kerlala..I would rule out spending much time in bombay(not known for its beaches in the conventional sense), and you will already have a city overload in Delhi..In KERALA, there is Cochi, the backwatr lagoons, Kumakuram,(backwater sanctuary), beaches of Varkala, etc..Plenty more then 4 days worth..PHEW, alot of traveling.....Anyways, feel free to e-mail me and I would be happy to help you sort out and plan the best use of your time, etc....I am a American who lives in the region, and has been to all these locales over the years. [email protected]
Old May 7th, 2003, 10:01 AM
Original Poster

This is my itinerary. We decided against too much time in Rajasthan, the feeling being that we are realistic and will get a good tasted by being selective. We are spoiling ourselves in Udaipur and Trivandrum by staying at Devi Garh and Travancore Heritage and will fly everywhere. What do you think?

Saturday 13th Heathrow - Heathrow - Delhi
Sunday 14th Delhi
Monday 15th Delhi
Tuesday 16th Delhi
Wednesday 17th Delhi - Taj day trip
Thursday 18th Delhi - Udaipur: Jet Airways Dep 1125 Arr 1305 $115
Friday 19th Udaipur
Saturday 20th Udaipur
Sunday 21st Udaipur - Mumbai: Jet Airways Dep 0850 Arr 1035 $135
Monday 22nd Mumbai
Tuesday 23rd Mumbai - Trivandrum: Indian Airlines Dep 1140 Arr 1335
Wednesday 24th Trivandrum
Thursday 25th Trivandrum
Friday 26th Trivandrum
Saturday 27th Trivandrum
Sunday 28th Trivandrum - Mumbai: Indian Airlines Dep 1520 Arr 1715
Monday 29th Mumbai - Heathrow (flight very early on Monday morning)
Old May 7th, 2003, 03:33 PM

Hi Nigel - by Trivandrum, I am assuming you mean not only Trivandrum but exploring the rest of Kerala.. which can be done by both train (book first class if I may recommend) or better still travel by car. Kerala is best seen by car... it gives you a flavor of the countryside, takes you into the markets, takes you over the hills... but definitely do not miss Cochin and old Jew town (it has one of Asia's oldest synagogues).. wander around in Mattancherry, Willingdon island, Fort Cochin, buy some local gold jewelery, eat a lot of fish.. esp. Karimeen (which is a local back water delicacy). Have fun.. drop me a line if you need any more ifnormation. I am ethnically from there (although I now live in the US)
[email protected]
Old May 12th, 2003, 06:39 AM

Hi, Nigel,
I just returned from Mumbai. I was there for almost 9 weeks for work. I agree with the other posts...there are so many other beautiful places in India that I would not stay in Mumbai for more than one day for travel/connection purposes.

I spent 5 days in Kerala. It was not enough! I would be happy to answer your questions about the Southern state and my experiences in various hotels and restaurants if you'd like.

[email protected]

Cheers,
Addy
Old Jun 10th, 2003, 10:53 PM

Hi Nigel
Your itinerary looks good.I live in Trivandrum and if you need any help or advise on your visit to Kerala, just drop a line at [email protected]
Cheers
Bibiana
Old Jun 12th, 2003, 08:05 PM

Hello Nigel!
I have a few words that will make you smile.
Go da Goa
On the Arabian Sea
A paradise for beach lovers, It was 4 me!
Christine (travel nut)
P.S. Have a great trip