Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Kanchanaburi Elephants (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/kanchanaburi-elephants-659172/)

crosscheck Nov 16th, 2006 08:53 AM

Kanchanaburi Elephants

Has anyone gone on a day tour to Kanachanburi to ride elephants? Is it too much for one day? If so, how are the raft hotels for overnight? Too buggy in December?

LeighTravelClub Nov 17th, 2006 08:28 PM

We did a day trip to Kanchanaburi from Bangkok. Mainly to see the Brdge Over The River Kwai. We also did an elephant ride before returning to Bangkok. The ride took us through some forest and accross a river and lasted around an hour. Quite excitng really. So yes you can easy do it in one day. You might find some useful tips on our website.

JamesA Nov 17th, 2006 11:27 PM

A day trip is OK but the overnight gives you much more time to see things, the river, bridge, the museums, Elephants, Tigers, hot springs etc.
It's a way to go just for the elephant ride but the trip makes an interesting excursion outside of Bangkok.

It's a river jungle area so insects exist, but if you went for air-con accommodation you should be fine, ouside cover up and use the normal precautions.
There are plenty of 3 star sort hotels, Felix River Kwai is well established, the Duen Shine is very good for location, you can walk or cycle close to the bridge, Duen Shine is about USD 28-32 with breakfast, hotel style rooms or cottages , all air con, has swimming pool etc, quite niece ofr overnight stop and for about USD 15 each good value, the Felix goes for about USD 50-60 depending whether river view or not.

cynstalker Nov 18th, 2006 06:47 AM

JamesA - tigers in the wild?

<font color="green">Cyn</font>

JamesA Nov 18th, 2006 09:05 AM

No, sadly not, just the temple and it might not appeal to many the way it is done.

cynstalker Nov 18th, 2006 11:36 AM

Thanks JamesA - that's what I was afraid you were going to say.

Sorry to hi-jack, crosscheck.

Cyn

crosscheck Nov 18th, 2006 12:10 PM

James - Did you go on your own or on an organized trip? Tong said she could arrange a driver for us, but we don't mind using public transport.

cmenoni Nov 18th, 2006 08:46 PM

We stayed at the Duen Shine Resort last November, and it is NOT close to nor walking distance to town. Taxi fare was about $3 each way, and the resort does not offer free shuttles. There are much nicer places in town for less money. Everything about the place is a little run-down, and no one spoke English, very unusual in Thailand, let alone at these prices. Food in the restaurant was mediocre at best.

On the positive side, we booked their tour to Hellfire Pass, etc., at a reasonable price, were picked up at the hotel, and spent last Thanksgiving with a lovely group of people.

Do try and find out when the Sound and Light Show is - it was one of the greatest evenings I've ever spent in 11 trips to SE Asia. I thought it would be kind of hokey, and maybe it was, but I still had tears in my eyes at times!!!

StanKase Nov 19th, 2006 06:39 AM

I assume you are not going to Chiagi Mai for the Elehant Conservancy at Lampang is the best mix of humane treatment of the animals, their abilities and a 1-3 hoyr trek.

crosscheck Nov 19th, 2006 10:34 AM

Unfortunately we don't have time for CM. We only have 8 days in Thailand/Cambodia (the rest of vacation is in Japan) and 3 will be in Angkor. So I thought we could do a 2 day/1 night trip from Bkk to see elephants and waterfalls.

JamesA Nov 19th, 2006 10:53 AM

Is it just the elephant rides and some natural scenery you are after or was it kanchanaburi in particular you wanted ? if it's just Elephant ride and some jungle scenery etc there are other options like Hua Hin where there's an elephant village, Pala U waterfall etc, plus you get beach too.
That's about 2 hrs 30 by cab/limo from BKK.

crosscheck Nov 19th, 2006 01:58 PM

That might be better. How far are the waterfalls from Hua Hin?