Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Just starting to think about Southeast Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/just-starting-to-think-about-southeast-asia-830388/)

glover Mar 10th, 2010 07:31 PM

Just starting to think about Southeast Asia

We'd like to spend January and February of 2011 in Southeast Asia. We've heard such wonderful things about Vietnam, Cambodia, and lately, especially, Laos. Thailand of course interests us too. And then I've just read Kathie's 2005 report on Borneo. ...

We like nature: birds, wildlife, rainforests. But we're also interested in cities, other cultures, good food. We're 60ish, well seasoned travelers, and in good shape for hiking. Husband fell in love with Asia in Bali, Singapore, Hong Kong, and Vietnam under less than ideal circumstances - all decades ago. And he's loved orangutangs forever. I've never been to Asia, but have been wanting to go.

I'll be reading all the great reports on Fodors from now on, but would love to hear from anyone who's willing to outline a suggested itinerary for us, perhaps based on similar interests and timeframes. Like most people, our "problem" is limiting/prioritizing. .. . so many interesting places to see. Thanks.

rhkkmk Mar 10th, 2010 08:07 PM

bangkok is a great place to use as a center of operations because of the excellent airport and many international flights...

we are your same age and have been going to bkk for about 15 years and thus far have been 13 times....the people are wonderful, the hotels are reasonable and outstanding, the food is also reasonable, varried and delicious and the shopping is excellent...

thailand offers many different types of experiences: city, beach, countryside, and hills... i would suggest that over the 2 month period that you would be able to explore some of each...Thailand has the best developed tourist structure in SEA..

but also you could easily visit vietnam, myanmar, laos, malaysia, cambodia, indonesia or singapore to name a few.... but for the best trip, i suggest that you narrow the number to far fewer...

a dream trip might look something like this:

arrive in bkk and stay at a nice hotel along the river, with a nice pool, and adjust to the heat and humidity for up to a week... i love the marriott resort and spa...

fly to a new destination in thailand, like a beach: koh samui, krabi, khoa lak or phuket.....stay for maybe 5 days....

fly back to bangkok and fly the same day to vietnam where you might spend up to two weeks: fly on air asia to hanoi, stay 4-5 days, fly to hue and stay a day or so, take a car to hoi an and stay a couple of days, fly to HCMC and stay a few days--maybe visit the delta area for 2-3 days....fly from there to cambodia....

go first to the capital for 2-3 days and then move on to siem reap the site of angkor wat and stay about 5 days....

fly back to bangkok for a few days

then fly to luang prabang, laos and spend 5 days there...

i'm losing count of your days...

maybe visit another place in laos...

i would then fly back to bkk and go up country to chiang mai and chiang rai (golden triangle)... maybe spend a week or more up there....

finish off my trip back in bangkok... if i wanted a few more beach days i might drive down to hua hin for a few days...

at this point you will be hooked and already planning a return trip...

we are here to help....just ask us as you go on with your planning...

some countries require a visa, so check that out....

silverwool Mar 11th, 2010 01:35 AM

For orangoutangs go to Borneo. Danum Valley (Sabah) in the wild and Semmangoh (Sarawak) in a rehabilitation centre. The latter is far better than Sepilok in Sabah IMO. I'm the same age bracket as you and loved Borneo. If you are fairly fit and tough there is Mount Kinabalu but I was a wuss and succumbed to altitude sickness.

However my main piece of advice is not to try and go to too many places. Travel in Asia is slow, savour the experience. Sure you can fly everywhere but bus travel can be fun too and you get to interact with the locals. You have plenty of time, enjoy it!

Kathie Mar 11th, 2010 06:51 AM

I would take a different approach from Bob, who has you doing a hub-and-spokes pattern in mainland SE Asia.

It sounds like the orangutans may be at the top of your list. With two full months to explore, you can do a lot. As you know, we loved our time in Borneo. Given your interests, I'd allocate a good two weeks in Malaysian Borneo. This would give you time to explore Kota Kinabalu and the surrounding area, visit the Borneo Rainforest Lodge, fly to Kuching and visit Sepilok and Bako.

From there, you could fly to Bangkok and visit Cambodia, Laos and Thailand. The problem is always "editing" as there is so much to see and do.

Really, the first task is to prioritize. Do as much reading as you can, look at photos, and come up with the most important places for you to see. From there we can be helpful with logistics.

sandy_b Mar 11th, 2010 10:56 AM

I'm following in your footsteps (going to Mexico City, Puebla, and Veracruz Sunday) and I'm also going to Bangkok and Laos in July . . . I visited Myanmar and Cambodia a couple of years ago. Seems we like the same places!

If you are interested in budget travel, I have travelogs from my trips . . . just let me know at [email protected].

You will have a fabulous time and I can't wait to read your trip report when you return.

Sandy (in Denton)