Just how hot is hot in summer?

Old Oct 5th, 2007, 03:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just how hot is hot in summer?

We are thinking of Vietnam end of June/early July - spending about 2 weeks mostly in the north: Hanoi, Halong Bay, SaPa, probably Hoi An. Haven't decided if we'll try to squeeze the south into 2 weeks.
I've read all the average temperatures and see that it could be rainy and steamy in the north. I'm just trying to get a feel if it is generally SO oppressive in the summer as to put a "damper" (pun intended) on the trip? It's not easy to find anywhere with temperate climate in the summer, our only time for a 2-week trip. Discovered Bali has nice temps that time of year, but doesn't seem like it would be nearly as exciting/interesting a trip as Vietnam. Any input on those who have experienced Vietnam in summer is appreciated. Thanks!
Old Oct 5th, 2007, 06:33 PM

www.weatherbase.com
Old Oct 11th, 2007, 07:55 AM

Alison, it is very humid at that time of the year, you sweat, sweat and sweat a little more. The evenings do not cool off, so make sure that you stay where there is a nice pool, I like the Shereton, their pool is nice. You will need to drink lots of water for sure.
I have lived here for 2 years and normally Mid June to August all the expats head home to stay cool. Now having said that Sapa will be a lot cooler but not Halong bay. Hope this helps.
Old Oct 11th, 2007, 08:41 PM

Mid-June through August is cooler than April-May in HCMC. The rain helps to cool it off. It's humid in the south all year around, so you'll be sweating no matter what. A nice pool is definitely a good idea. I like the Hyatt pool myself, but the Sheraton is a better hotel. June/July is a good time of year to visit Hoi An (dry). I think the main reason most expats leave in the summer is because their kids are out of school, so they head back to their home country or go on vacation on their Home Leave's that are paid by their companies.

Just come and don't let the weather spoil your trip. You can't control it anyway.
Old Oct 13th, 2007, 02:55 PM
Original Poster

thanks to everyone. And what about the Mekong Delta? some guidebooks say that it may be under water that time of year? is it a problem to visit that area in June/July?
Old Oct 13th, 2007, 06:03 PM
Amy

I traveled to Vietnam in the summer a few years back; it wasn't horrible at all although sometimes it was a bit humid.

My trip report is here: http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...7&tid=34659821 and I'll be happy to answer whatever questions I can.
Old Oct 14th, 2007, 05:23 PM

I was in Hanoi, HaLong Bay, Hue and HCMC at the end of July. Hue was the most comfortable, but HaLong Bay and HCMC were no worse than a hot day in Chicago. The only place that really felt oppressive to me was Hanoi... STEAMY... However, it is a beautiful city and was my favorite in Vietnam!