Just came back from Viet nam trip

Jul 3rd, 2008, 04:45 PM
Original Poster

Just came back from Viet nam trip

Will gladly give info and thoughts if anyone has any questions. I don't do trip report well.

We were at: Saigon, Nha Trang, My Tho, Can Tho.

Stayed at Sheraton - Saigon, Sunrise - Nha Trang, Golf - Can Tho, Park Royal - Saigon.

Had a wonderfull time.
Jul 4th, 2008, 01:43 AM

Hi:

We will be in Saigon later this month but haven't booked our hotel yet. How did you like the Sheraton and Park Royal?

Now that you are somewhat familiar with the city, would you counsel people on a first visit to stay in a particular hotel or part of town? We are in Hanoi now, which is somewhat familiar to me, but this will be a very first trip to Saigon.

Glad you had a wonderful trip.

Many thanks.
Jul 4th, 2008, 10:52 AM
Original Poster

The Sheraton is on Dong Khoi, in the heart of district 1 in downtown Saigon. The Park Royal is near Tan Son Nhat airport, a high rise business hotel where flight crews crash, etc... You would need a taxi going through a tremendous amount of traffic to get to downtown, where the Sheraton is right on top of.

Price wise, it's about 2.5:1 for the Sheraton tho... so it's up to your budget.
Jul 4th, 2008, 01:13 PM

I stayed at the Sheraton for one night and then checked out. The area is probably the best for a first-time visitor, but the Sheraton is not the only option in the neighborhood.
Jul 4th, 2008, 01:53 PM
Original Poster

Very true, the Sheraton is not the only option. In fact, we chosed to stay there because I got 2 nights free on points.
Jul 4th, 2008, 04:02 PM

So....how was the Golf Hotel in Can Tho?
Jul 4th, 2008, 04:23 PM
Original Poster

First, thank you for your earlier comments on the Golf hotel. We were not sure we would make it to Cantho so we decided not to book a room in advance, rather try our luck upon arrival. We were further encouraged during the early part of our trip that this option would pose no problem, as most hotels we were at were not running close to 60% capacity. So we got down to Cantho on our next to last day at 4PM, walked right into the Golf hotel lobby and got a river view room right away.

The room we got was a notch below their suite, with a summer promotion 20% off was $88USD with breakfast. For 2 people +1 rollaway for our son. The room was spacious, although the carpet was in desparate need of a steam cleaning, or even vacumming. No balcony, but a great view of the river. The service was very spot on, with friendly help staff. Very clean common areas and adequate, fast and roomy elevators.

The staff decided to keep most of the lights off or on low in the common areas, and I thought that was wise and appreciated the effort. The breakfast was adequate, although they wanted to charge me extra for a cafe sua nong, so I skipped it. It was the best hotel in Cantho, for its location and level of offering. The Victoria is in an inconvenient location, the Ninh Kieu 2 is not river facing, and is more of a corporate monolith. So the Golf was very good for me.
Jul 6th, 2008, 04:48 AM

The Sheraton is actually on Dong Du, but if you tell your taxi driver, Sheraton, they will know where to go. It, along with the Park Hyatt are the 2 top hotels in HCMC. But they are also the most expensive. When the Sheraton opened in 2003, you could stay there for $95++. Now it costs you almost $300.
Jul 6th, 2008, 10:03 AM
Original Poster

Its front door is on the side street Dong Du, right at the corner with Dong Khoi. It has an official address of 88 Dong Khoi St.
Jul 21st, 2008, 04:07 AM

We are about to leave Hue for three nights at the Sunrise in Nha Trang. Were you happy with your room? We're getting a sea-view deluxe villa. Thanks~
Jul 23rd, 2008, 10:41 AM
Original Poster

Sorry to be replying a little late. We were very happy with our room. We had a junior suite with sea view and a jazcuzzi tub in the balcony, which we never used... but it was nice. Very much enjoyed our stay there.
Jul 23rd, 2008, 06:32 PM
mkb

I am planning a two and a half week tour of vietnam in August 2008. Have hooked up with Buffalo Tours in Vietnam. Has anyone used them and any advise.
What about the weather?
We are to go to Sapa? Is the trekking very, very difficult. Is it three days of trekking?
What about Hoi An, saigon, hanoi, boat tours of vietnam, and the mekong?
What about clothes that are needed and appropriate?
Does everyone get tipped all over the country?
And most important, I am a vegetarian, is that possible?
Hope to hear from you soon MB