Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Just bought my tickets to Thailand! (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/just-bought-my-tickets-to-thailand-574681/)

Kristina Dec 5th, 2005 09:12 PM

Just bought my tickets to Thailand!

Whoo Hoo! Just bought my tickets to BKK on Cathaypacific.com for April!!

The December Deal of the month is LAX or SFO to BKK for $722 tax included. $50 more for weekend dates and the tix are refundable with $100 charge. Feb 1-April 30 departures. These same tix are about $250-$300 more on Expedia and Travelocity right now.

Haven't been since 2002 and I'm sooooo excited to go back. Cathay is also one of my favorite airlines to fly to Asia (best route times for me, decent economy classs, etc.)

So, looking forward to lots of planning over the next few months.
We'll be spending a few days in BKK on either end and then the middle 4-5 days somewhere on the South west coast (Phuket, Krabi, Phi Phi?) where we've not been before. All advice welcome.

My one concern is I've read the Thai New Year will begin April 13 when we are there. I'm sure this means some things will be closed, but what? Also, isn't this the festival time where lots of water is thrown?

Anyway, happy and had to share! :-)

TexasSlim Dec 5th, 2005 11:53 PM

Thai NY - Songkran Water Festival usually means a 4-day holiday but this is unlikely to concern you because it's schools, government offices, and some private businesses that close for the period. All the things you'll need will remain open.
Be careful of the water throwing; don't take anything valuable out onto the streets or it will get ruined. Same goes for good clothing, even late at night if you dress for dinner and you walk down a street somebody could come out of nowhere and drench you.
Also be careful of your eyes, ears, and mouth during water throwing, as so much of this water is filthy, taken from klongs, or has stuff added. I always cover my ears as I'm prone to ear infection. If you haven't witnessed a Songkran Festival before then the first time they can be great fun but the novelty wanes over subsequent years.

Kristina Dec 6th, 2005 05:03 AM

TexasSlim-Thanks for the details. Is there any way to avoid getting drenched? I'm asuming tourists aren't immune from this, but do they become more likely targets? I'm just a little worried about my digital camera getting wet.

Kristina Dec 6th, 2005 01:17 PM

Topping in case anyone else might be interested in this Cathay Pacific deal.

TexasSlim Dec 6th, 2005 05:31 PM

Everybody is a target, often farang more so. It is very difficult to avoid getting drenched, you pretty well have to stay indoors or slink around side streets to avoid it. When you go outdoors wear your worse clothes, you should cover your digital camera with plastic, you'll see many people carry valuables in plastic bags. Usually you can easily spot (and avoid) the serious water throwers as they be dancing and singing and making heaps of noise but there are also sneaky ones that will come out of nowhere. Songkran is actually sheer insanity, the death toll in Thailand for that week is astronomical, likewise the injuries, add to this the damage to personal property like mobile phones & cameras & other electronic gear that gets ruined. For weeks after countless people require treatment eye and ear infections. I always try my hardest to be out of the country. For example I'm also going to BKK in April 2006 but I'm arriving a few days after Songkran.

Kristina Dec 7th, 2005 07:39 PM

Slim-Thanks for the info. Unfortunately, we have to travel that time because it's "spring break" and my husband is a teacher. Given the option, I probably would choose to avoid it too because I hate having water sprayed on me (and the thought of dirty canal water makes me shiver). But, oh well, it will be my 4th trip and I'm just happy to be going. :-)