Just back from Thailand....I have 2 recommendations

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9th, 2003, 06:47 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If anyone is looking for a wonderful driver in Bangkok, I highly recommend Mrs. Vimolrat Kantapiyo, who goes by &quot;Rat.&quot; Her email address is [email protected]. she drives a green and yellow taxi, but is so knowledgeable about the city, that when she is driving you, it's like having a guide along. Her rates are incredibly reasonable, her English is good and she has a great sense of humor.<BR>During our trip to BKK last week, we hired Rat to take us to the floating market. We wanted to go early, to beat the heat and crowds, so she picked us up promptly at 6:30am. When we arrived, she negotiated the boat ride, bought samples of many interesting things for us to taste along the way, and directed the boat lady where to stop for us to get out and look around.<BR>On the way back to BKK, my travel companion asked about the best place to buy a spirit house to take home. Rat drove us directly to the workshop where they are made. When the shop did not have the appropriate packing materials, Rat took the spirit house home with her that night, packed it beautifully in bubble wrap and styrofoam, and brought it back with her when she picked us up to go to the airport the next morning. Now that's what I call amazing service!!<BR><BR>My second recommendation is the new cooking school at the Regent Resort in Chiang Mai. This was my third trip there, so I was looking for something other than elephant rides, temples and Night Market shopping. The cooking class turned out to be the highlight of the trip. It took place in a absolutely beautiful outdoor pavilion, that is equipped with 8 individual cooking stations and 2 demonstration areas. Each group of 4 students watches the chef prepare the dish first, then you do it yourself, then you eat the dish you made. Each cooking station is perfectly set up with everything you need. While you are eating one dish, the staff cleans your station and prepares it for the next dish. The school was from 9am-2pm and we made 5 dishes. After all that eating, we were so full, we skipped dinner that night. It was relaxing, fun and we learned a lot about Thai cooking.<BR><BR>If anyone has questions on the above recommendations, please post here and I will be happy to answer.
Old Mar 9th, 2003, 06:50 PM

Great recommendations -- I'm traveling to Bangkok soon and thus far, I do not have reservations made. I will go to Bangkok for a couple days and do the sightseeing thing and markets. Sounds like Rat may be a perfect help for me -- do you agree? Also, about how much does she charge?<BR>Thanks!
Old Mar 9th, 2003, 07:06 PM
Original Poster

Rat's rate from the Regent Hotel to the airport was 400 baht.<BR>We used her services for 7 hours on the day of the market trip and she charged us 1500 baht. We did not even try to bargain because we liked her and felt she gave such good service. <BR>I found her through friends who have used her to visit Grand Palace, temples, Chatuchuk etc and they all raved about her. They told me that while shopping in Chatuchuk, she gave them a cell phone and the number to her cell phone. When they bought something, they called her, she came right to the stall, picked it up and took it to the car while they continued to shop. (Personally I found the shopping there to be pretty worthless, compared to Chiang Mai, but that's a different topic.)<BR>Please tell her that Lindsey and Victoria (the spirit house ladies) sent you!
Old Mar 9th, 2003, 07:31 PM

sounds great -- thanks! Another question... i love to shop -- what do you recommend? Of course, I do love to shop for clothes and shoes for myself. But also want to check out the local goods. Mainly, I just enjoy shopping regardless of buying (but do love a good deal!). thanks!
Old Mar 10th, 2003, 12:12 AM

Thanks for that Lindsey. We will be arriving in Bangkok six weeks today(!) so I have e-mailed Rat and said you recommended her. It sounds like you had a great time and I can't wait for our trip!
Old Mar 10th, 2003, 01:51 AM
Original Poster

Beth,<BR>Bangkok is shopping paradise, but where you go depends on your interests. Rat could probably direct you if you are looking for something in particular.<BR><BR>I found a lot of knock-off purses in Silom Village. I also bought some nice mango wood bowls for a very good price there. There are lots of excellent silver shops in New Street, near the Oriental Hotel. I also bought a lot of Jim Thompson stuff (makeup cases, pillowcases etc.) which is overpriced, but it is packaged so beautifully that it makes great gifts. There are JT retail stores all over town. <BR>As far as local crafts, I found the prices, quality and selection to be far superior in Chiang Mai. Chatuchuk was a disappointment after everything I had heard about it. You should still go see it, because it is a great cultural experience, and the little bar in the middle of it is not to be missed. But don't expect to find the best buys there. I was only there 3 days and spent a lot time on sightseeing, so I barely scratched the surface in the shopping dept. I'm sure other people on this board good give you specifics, if you have a list of must-buys.
Old Mar 10th, 2003, 07:29 AM

If you are interested in arts and antiques (some truly old, some newly old) visit River City Shopping Center. Located right on the river, it is next door to the Sheraton Royal Orchid. All of the hotels on the river have a boat that goes to River City.
Old Mar 10th, 2003, 02:28 PM

I was wondering if any one could help me out. I am going to Thailand in April for 16 days and need to really know what to wear. I am not quite sure what kinds of things to pack. I mean do you mostly wear pants,shorts or skirts and what kind of tops do you take. I can not wait to go but that is going to be my bigggest problem. Hope someone could e-mail me back with some tips. [email protected] Thank you
Old Mar 10th, 2003, 06:09 PM

I'm having the same problem. Help!<BR>Also, this may some silly, but do women wear black in Thailand? I was told black was only worn for<BR>funerals.<BR>Is this so? Thanks
Old Mar 10th, 2003, 06:17 PM

I don't think that i would wear black because it would be to hot, depending on when you go. When are you going to Thailand? We will be there for 16 days in April.
Old Mar 10th, 2003, 06:38 PM

for shopping we love the impact book, THE TREASURERS AND PLEASURERS OF THAILAND...we have found it to be comprehensive and accurate for shopping, its main focus, but also for hotels and restaurants....it tends to be on the higher end, which might not be what people want....we combine it with the nancy chandler map, whcih is available everywhere...the book is available in the usa...
Old Mar 10th, 2003, 06:39 PM

In terms of clothing, remember that covering your arms and legs will often keep you cooler as well as being more modest. You must have your shoulders and knees covered to enter the grounds of the Grand Palance and the Temple of the Emerald Buddha, as well as Wat Po. I like loose long skirts or dresses, though I also wear light pants and light shirts. Save the skin-baring fashions for the beach. You can buy many inexpensive clothes in Bangkok. And you can certainly wear black if you want to. (Black is not the color of mourning in Thailand.)
Old Mar 10th, 2003, 08:20 PM
Original Poster

Couple of other points about dressing in Bangkok......wear natural fabrics like cotton and linen. Synthetics are much warmer. Carry a light shawl in your bag because when you are inside, especially hotels and some restaurants, it is highly airconditioned. Bring a hat for when you are walking around in the sun. I saw plenty of people wearing black. I wore black capris and trousers at night and felt quite comfortable.<BR>The Grand Palace is the strictest place i have ever visited in terms of dress. We thought we were ok, because I had on knee length shorts, and tennis shoes and my friend wore a knee length skirt and sandals. She took socks in her bag, because we were told your feet had to be covered. It turned out that her skirt passed muster, but my shorts, at the same length, did not, simply because they were shorts. My tennis shoes were ok, but her socks/sandals combo did not because a backstrap is required on sandals. So we stood in line to get the sarong and backstrap sandals they loan you at no charge. The sarong was so heavy it was like wearing a horse blanket in the 95 degree heat. My advice for Grand Palace is to wear light cotton trousers or skirt, that go all the way to the ankle. Short sleeved shirts are fine. Sandals need a backstrap. If you follow this, you will save yourself some aggravation there.
Old Mar 11th, 2003, 12:04 AM

For the record, black is not the color of mourning in Buddhism, white is. People wear white to funerals. You may not see a lot of black on the streets in Thailand, but that is because of the heat, not because of any cultural taboo.<BR><BR>There are dress concerns in Thailand when visiting temples, most specifically when visiting the Grand Palace in Bangkok, which is a series of temples. No shorts are allowed, even on men. Closed-toe shoes are required. If you are using a guide, I would ask if you have any concerns on that point. The post above from Lindsay also gives helpful advice and recent experience.<BR><BR>One thing I have always done when touring in Bangkok use an umbrella on a sunny day. You will feel stupid for about 1 minute until you realize that you are much cooler than those around you. Local women use them all the time as well. It has saved me more than once on one of those blazing sunny days walking around the Grand Palace!<BR>
Old Mar 11th, 2003, 03:41 AM
Original Poster

Actually, just to clarify a point on the above post....open toed sandals were allowed, as of last week, but they had to have a backstrap. In fact the sandals that were loaned out by the Palace were a bit like heavy duty Tevas, with open toes and straps around the back.<BR>Good advice on the umbrella. Also, we did not take water with us into the Grand Palace because we thought it was not allowed. Turns out it IS allowed and with the heat and sun, very much needed. We were able to buy cold drinks at a little kiosk inside the Palace grounds, but it was nearly at the end of the tour and we were parched. Take water!!
Old Mar 11th, 2003, 06:24 AM

Thanks to everyone. I can now pack for the trip---and I'll take black for the evening! Thanks again.
Old Mar 21st, 2003, 07:05 PM

Hi Lindsey:<BR>Thanks for the recommendaton about &quot;Rat&quot;. I will be travelling to Bangkok in mid-April - one thing I would like to know though - does Rat's cab have air conditioning? I hear this is one of the hottest times to visit BKK! Also, I will be travelling alone so she sounds the perfect person to show off the sights of BKK.
Old Mar 22nd, 2003, 12:04 AM
Original Poster

Not only does Rat's taxi have great air conditioning, she had a cooler full of icy cold bottled water in the trunk, which she offered us frequently during the course of the day. Just one of her little &quot;extras&quot; that made it so nice to travel around with her.
Old Mar 23rd, 2003, 08:16 PM

Thanks Lindsey:<BR><BR>I have booked Rat for a couple of days and really appreciate the tip. Since I am traveling alone, it's great to have someone recommended and takes the pressure off trying to find someone reliable upon arrival.<BR>Thanks again,<BR>
Old Mar 24th, 2003, 07:07 AM
Original Poster

Have a really wonderful trip and be sure to tell her that the two &quot;spirit house ladies&quot; sent you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -