Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Jungle trekking clothing (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/jungle-trekking-clothing-1019162/)

sundancekid4 Jul 6th, 2014 09:52 AM

Jungle trekking clothing

Hi there,

I am travelling SEA for 5 months and was wondering what type of clothing is best for jungle trekking. Specifically what kind of pants are best, what material of shirt, and what to bring for warm clothing when it cools off. I want to be protected from misquotes and have my legs fully covered. Also, is it better to get my gear in North America or buy it when I arrive in SEA.

Thank you

Kathie Jul 6th, 2014 10:08 AM

You will probably want quick-drying synthetics. Take a look at Ex Officio clothing, for instance. Or talk with someone at REI if there is one near you. If you are hiking in the rainforest, even quick-drying clothing will stay damp for a long time. During the rainforest parts of our trips, we have taken a light waterproof windbreak-type jacket. It is rare that you will need more than that, but sometimes at night, you might appreciate a light fleece.

I'm someone who prefers natural fabrics (cotton, linen, silk and blends of those) when I'm traveling in SEA. But for hiking in the jungle, the new quick-dry fabrics are much better. If you are really going into the jungle, you will want leech socks. They are hard to find (and expensive) in the US. I bought mine in Sabah for less than half the US price.

So for most of your clothing, I recommend getting it before you go. But some speciality items you are better off getting there.

Happy traveling!

internetwiz Jul 6th, 2014 10:15 AM

I would bring things that pack small, wick away moisture and dry quickly. My clothes are usually from ExOfficio, REI, Columbia or Prana. ExOfficio has a bugs away line, that's supposed to repel mosquitos; a lot of their clothes have sunscreen in them too. For pants, buy pants that either zip off or have fasteners to roll up. You'll need long pants for some of the temples. I usually bring a fleece jacket, that I roll into a pillowcase to use on the long flights. It's come in handy on occasion, but generally you won't need it too often, so the less bulk, the better.

Someone else might want to comment on shoes. Make sure you choose wisely. I'm not sure what kind of trekking you're doing, or the time of year, but make sure you bring something that's supportive and will withstand wet conditions. I like having a pair of water sandals (Teva, Keen or the like) as they can go from flooding street conditions to a day out on a boat to the beach.

Buy your gear in North America. Even if it's made in Asia, most of it is exported to the west, and your selection at home will be a lot better. The performance wear I've seen in Asia is either knockoffs, or it is American brands anyway.

FromDC Jul 7th, 2014 04:53 AM

Just got back from Borneo, wore Travelex pants and they were perfect, lightweight and most important, easy to dry. Convertible to shorts is a plus. I also normally wear only cotton or linen but on this trip brought moisture wicking tops. Having quick dry is a must. Wet leaves on the jungle floor means you need ankle support for shoes. Some friends wore high elastic socks instead of leech socks. We had leech socks that were very cheap in Sabah.

julies Jul 7th, 2014 06:04 AM

Are you male or female? I'm female and have a great pair of pants that are treated with insect repellent and have mesh inserts on the sides for breezes. My real travel favorite is a macabi skirt found at macabi.com. Super versatile in so many different contexts--can be a modest skirt, short skirt, divided into pants etc.

My husband and buy nearly all of our things of this type at sierratradingpost.com. They are an outlet that has closeouts and last years models at really great discounts. And, they have a different sale every day.

FromDC Jul 7th, 2014 11:46 AM

A warning about mesh inserts on shirts when trekking in the jungle in Borneo - - leeches get in there - - it happened to me and to our trekking partner.