Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   July 5 to Thailand for 33 days (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/july-5-to-thailand-for-33-days-939493/)

obasan Jun 17th, 2012 07:12 PM

July 5 to Thailand for 33 days

I think I am very lucky. We have had a Thai high school student living with us for the last 2 school years. His mother and father are both lawyers in Bangkok. My DH and I are flying first class on Cathay Pacific, and we are going to spend the first 4 nights at the Shangri-La hotel in the Kruthep wing Deluxe King room with Balconey. After first 4 nights we are going to my student's house in Bangkok. I have no idea what that will be like--well I do know they have 3 live in servants.
My student was a 16 year old sophmore when we got him.This fall he will be an 18 year old senior. He will be coming back to Nashville,TN with us when we come home on Aug.8th. His English is excellent, his grades all good, and he is a great soccer player,and always smiling.
I know his mother has all kinds of plans for us to see Thailand. She said from mountains in the north to Islands in the south.

What do you think am I Lucky or am I Lucky???

shanek Jun 17th, 2012 10:34 PM

Extremely Lucky...I am very envious.

What better way to experience Thailand but as guests of Thai Nationals.

We just got back from a 33 day trip, including time in the North East and Islands in the south. You are in for an amazing time.

simpsonc510 Jun 18th, 2012 05:15 AM

I agree 100%. You will have an amazing time in Thailand. I wish I could manage to get away for 33 straight days! My BKK trips are usually just at or under 2 weeks. I'm jealous! Enjoy.

Kathie Jun 18th, 2012 06:56 AM

Indeed, you are lucky. Have a wonderful time in Thailand.

obasan Jun 18th, 2012 11:18 AM

I have traveled all over the world to some really strange places,and I think I have climbed enough steps to go around the world BUT, as we have gotten older we only stay in super luxury places and this time I think we will be seeing the real Thailand. I have to admit to being a bit nervous especially about the food. My student "Poom" can't wait to take me to some of his favorite food stalls---he also wants to teach me the meaning of HOT as relates to Thai food. We are going bamboo rafting, cave exploring. I think he might be getting even for feeding him real southern chicken, grits and country ham.
Shanek, What islands did you visit? I think in the north we will be mostly in the western part(Chang Mai,Pai and Chang Rai) but I'm really not sure.

simpsonc510 Jun 18th, 2012 11:28 AM

Ooooooh... Thai food is REALLY HOT, if you get the REAL thing. I don't think you can handle that much heat, but maybe I'm wrong. Other than that, Thai food is great. I'm sure your host will not steer you towards anything that might be harmful to your stomach/digestive system. Remember to drink only bottled water. Your friend should know which food items are prepared in a hygienic way. I know that my Thai friends do not encourage me to try some of the things they eat that are really hot (or that have food items to which I had an allergy). And they know which street food stalls are OK for me.

Phuket, Koh Samui, Krabi, Khao Lak, all are great beach locations in southern Thailand. Hope you get to include at least one of them.... or perhaps a drive from Bangkok to Hua Hin, which is also a lovely beach/town area. The north has its own charms. I'm sure you will be fine. Sounds like you are a seasoned traveller, which helps. You may go through a bit of culture shock at first. I know I did, but it only lasted a day or so, and then I felt right at home in Bangkok. That was 27 Thailand trips ago..... number 28 is in four weeks. Sounds like our paths might cross.....??

Carol

shanek Jun 18th, 2012 03:39 PM

Hi obasan,

The Northern Eastern leg of our trip took us to Nong Khai, but we have been to Chang Mai / Rai previously and have enjoyed our time there.

Kho Phangan is where where we spent the majority of our time in the South. This Island has so much more to offer than just the famous Full Moon Party. Much of the Island is still not over-developed and the beaches and jungles are stunning.

obasan Jun 18th, 2012 07:31 PM

I will be there from July 6 Aug 8.so do we cross Carol? I have read on this forum several times that Phuket and Krabi are really not good at this time of year. Often they even shut down the beaches because of currents. I really wanted to go to Koh Samui---but Poom told me on the phone yesterday that a woman had been murdered there recently, and his mother did not think it was safe right now. I really would like to snorkle at the marine park near there. By the way I am 68 and DH is 70 and we have been married 48 years. I really think(hope) Poom is teasing me about making me eat hot stuff.He is 17 you know.

simpsonc510 Jun 19th, 2012 04:48 AM

Obasan, I'm 66 and my hubby will be 70 in August! We have been married for 47 years! Wow....

Yes, our paths could possibly cross. I arrive in Bangkok late on July 19th, staying 5 nights at Sheraton Four Points on Sukhumvit soi 15, leaving for Sydney on July 24th, early evening. Let's try to meet up, if we can!

Carol

obasan Jun 19th, 2012 07:18 PM

Carol,I am taking my computer so we can see if I am in Bangkok at that time.

simpsonc510 Jun 20th, 2012 12:56 PM

I'll have mine as well. I always do 'live' trip reports from on the ground in BKK.