Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Need advice on where to stay in Kyoto - Machiya vs Hotel?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8th, 2014, 06:02 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi, planning a visit to Kyoto in Feb/March. Looking at the Granvia and the Hyatt. Am quite keen to experience a machiya but unsure of the bedding, heating in the bedrooms, access/proximity to sights and service. I find futons uncomfortable and am not sure of sleeping on tatamis for 7 nights. I have looked at the Aori, Machiya-Residence-Inn and Iori ones and have come across mixed reviews. While we hope to be out all day, a home may offer our family of 4 more space in the event we are stuck indoors. Any advice on machiya experiences and or reccos?
Old Oct 8th, 2014, 06:22 AM

We did not stay in a machiya in Kyoto but we did stay in one in Kanazawa which could have easily slept 4. The futons were extremely comfortable but we did not like that there was really no place comfortable to sit anywhere, other than on the floor. Every machiya will have tatami mats on the floors. In terms of comfort, you will likely get what you pay for - our machiya was very well appointed and cleaned daily (but not all are). The machiyas you mentioned seem well-situated for touring/restaurants. I would not try to sleep 4 in a room at the Hyatt as the rooms aren't particularly large. I have not heard of the Granvia but its location at the train station is obviously great if you plan to use public transport frequently. Hope this helps.
Old Oct 8th, 2014, 09:03 AM

Like Craig, we stayed at a machiya in Kanazawa. There was a lot of space, but as Craig says, no where to sit except on the floor. And you will be sleeping on a futon. If that doesn't sound appealing to you - especially for a week - then opt for a hotel. I expect both the Hyatt and the Granvia have rooms that will sleep four. Do note that you will have to specify a room for four - you can't just book a room for two and expect that the four of you will stay there.
Old Nov 10th, 2014, 05:53 PM
Original Poster

Thanks - I am now planning a night at a ryokan, and a room for four at the Hyatt for the rest of the stay. The Granvia comes with great recommendations but am not sure if I want stay right above a station!
Old Nov 10th, 2014, 08:21 PM
kja

I didn't stay at either the Hyatt or the Granvia, but I did spend a bit of time at the station -- I ate dinner in a restaurant there (maybe on the 2nd floor?) and had a drink in a 15th floor lounge that I believe was part of the Granvia. In neither place did I have the sense of being in a train station. I'm sure there are advantages and disadvantages to each hotel, but I would think the convenience of the Granvia's location atop the train station (which is, BTW, of some architectural interest) would be a decided advantage, not a disadvantage. JMO.
Old Nov 15th, 2014, 10:19 PM

The Granvia is above a station, yes, but it's a huge building, there's no feeling of being above the rail tracks. The station is immense, and actually I found it quite impressive. The advantages of staying there are a) great links for the days when we wanted to travel a little farther (we went to Yamazaki whisky distillery and to Arashiyama from there) and b) lots of easy food options up on the 11th floor of the shopping mall there, including a branch of KatsuKura, fabulous tonkatsu restaurant.

We combined this with a stay in a gorgeous Kyoto ryokan, Shiraume, which was very comfortable. The futons were thick and comfortable, though I did find getting up and down a little difficult, but I have arthritis in my hips. When sleeping, I was comfortable! Here's my blog post on Shiraume: http://www.kaveyeats.com/2013/03/her...n-me-into.html
Old Nov 15th, 2014, 10:25 PM

Oh, meant to add about the Granvia. We loved the location but the rooms are same old same old as any international hotel chain. We chose not to eat breakfast in the hotel was was overpriced and there were so many bakeries and other options either in the station or once we'd headed out for the day. One evening we went up to the Granvia's bar but didn't stay -- although we were residents of the hotel and the bar was almost empty, we were not allowed to stay unless we both ordered a drink. My husband had but I didn't want one, and wasn't inclined to order one just to use the bar, since we were residents in the hotel, this just p****d me off!
Old Mar 3rd, 2015, 05:48 PM
Original Poster

We just got back - really enjoyed our stay at the Granvia. The station is Incredible - I haven't seen a bigger station complex and discovered something new everyday! We had a suite for the family so it was very comfortable.

The Japanese are sticklers for rules I guess so it can be frustrating at times. We actually found Granvia to be great - service and location both.

We also stayed a night at the Yachiyo Ryokan near Nanzenji on the recommendation of a friend - beautiful rooms, gardens and all. However, I found it quite pricey and the service wanting.
Old Mar 3rd, 2015, 11:40 PM

Location was definitely super, and yes I adored the station itself, and we found some delicious food on the 11th floor. Good to hear you had a fantastic experience at the Granvia, as it's definitely one of the best located!
Old Mar 3rd, 2015, 11:45 PM
kja

Thanks for reporting back, tongsa -- glad you enjoyed your stay! And welcome home!