Jomtien/Hua Hin in January

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10th, 2004, 04:11 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We want to go to a beach place from Bangkok for 2-3 days in mid-January. Our time is very limited so was thinking of a cery closeby location like Jomtien/Hua Hin. Is it rainy in Jomtien/Hua Hin at that time? We have already visited the Krabi/Phuket area and was thinking of a different location this time.
Old Nov 10th, 2004, 06:46 PM

i think the weather is decent in both places at that time of year...i was last in HH in december and it was lovely...

this might be a good time to ask jamesA for some suggestions on places to stay around jomtien?// something on the order of the peace resort in samui would be nice...
Old Nov 11th, 2004, 05:59 PM
Original Poster

OK. Any recommendations for nice hotels in Jomtien and/or Hua Hin.
Old Nov 11th, 2004, 06:53 PM

my favorite in HH is the marriott...we looked at all the major places while we were there last and decided that the marriott overall was the best for us...close behind it was the hyatt and the sofitel....the hilton looked terrible, although some here like it...it reminded me of a cement jungle with no trees...
there is also an anantara north of town...it get good marks here...
there are tons of lesser priced places as well..a
a good hotel site is: www.huahin.20m.com

lot of places to eat...our favorite was La Mer south of town on the bluff overlooking the beach---fabulous at nite...seafood only...little or no english spoken..
Old Nov 12th, 2004, 07:55 AM

Jomtien beach is one beach south of Pattaya beach. The nicer hotels are in Pattaya where as most of the hotels on Jomtien are 2 - 3 stars.

I like the Royal Cliff hotel, sort of 1/2 way between Pattaya and Jomtien. http://www.royalcliff.com/

January is normally pretty dry. This year I have a bad feeling that it's drier then normal. Probably a drought type year.

Old Nov 12th, 2004, 07:56 AM

Jomtien beach and Hua Hin firstly are totally different in every way, and both very different from Krabi/Phuket. Jomtien Beach is over the hill past Pattaya, takes under 2 hours on the fast expressway. Lots of high rise resort hotels such as the Ambassador City, hyped as the world's largest resort(?), other average price places are Jomtien Palace and Welcome Jomtien, for something different and well thought of the Rabbitt resort is worth a look, gets very good reports and is a well run place and the food is good. if you want a real class place the Royal Cliff is a very large complex with various sections and has own beach, the Asia pattaya is actually on the Jomtien side of the hill.
Now Jomtien beach is very much a 'resort' and that means lots of shops, restaurants, activities like Pattaya Park Water Park, Underwaterworld, plus the othetr things in the area such as Mini-Siam and Nong Nuk Park, boat trips to Koh larn and further along tyhe coast snorkel trips. It is very busy but a couple of great plus points are it's less than B150 from Bangkok by a/c Express Bus, or about B 1,500 by taxi, it is also "cheap", whether shopping, hotels, drinks, meals, it is cheap, the reason is that it caters mainly for Thai home-based tourists/visitors plus masses from Taiwan, China, Korea etc and the prices stay well low. The local Sangthaew pick-ups are cheap and even late night B40 for 2 people is what you would pay into Pattaya.
Hua Hin is down the other coast, about 3 hrs by taxi a little longer by bus, you can train in about 4 hrs 20mins. Hua Hin is far more 'sedate' and quiet, not much happens after 10 pm, nice for Golf and relaxation, nice places are Sofitel central, central Village, Hyatt regency, Ananatara, marriott, Kaban Tamor. Overall much much quieter than Jomtien. Hua Hin is also quite cheap, again local transport is cheap/fair priced and people are friendly.
Don't expect krabi style scenary in either. From Jomtien you can continue along to Koh Samet or even Koh Chang.
Weatherwise you should be ok in both places, maybe the odd bit of rain.
In neither expect palm frined beaches, both though are easy and cheap to get to, I would say if you are into beachfron hotel and quiet look at Hua Hin, if you are into a busy more built up place but very very cheap, then Jomtien. You are close to Pattaya for the Vegas style shows, Dinner cruises, masses of shopping, bars, restaurants etc etc etc etc
Old Nov 12th, 2004, 07:59 AM

yes actually I agree with Hanuman, you could also look at some of the Pattaya Hotels and resorts, glad we both agree Royal Cliff well worth looking at, in Pattaya Woodlands or Amari, more upmarket the Dusit, or the Marriott Pattaya if you've got lots of 'points', if you want a fun place though not on the beach the Hard Rock Pattaya suits those who are 'into' that kind of place, had Christmas there a few years back and it was great, but if you want 'on the beach' look at North Pattaya places and then those 'south' of the main area, example the Royal Cliff.