John Gray's Sea Canoe-Phuket

Oct 23rd, 2003, 03:43 PM
Original Poster

John Gray's Sea Canoe-Phuket

As we continue to tweak this trip, we're thinking of kayaking in Phuket (didn't go to Phuket on our last Thailand trip because we heard it was "too touristy". We've been hearing some nice things about the area, however). How about this kayaking co.? Anybody used them? They have a late afternoon-evening kaying trip through caves, etc. Any reviews? While we're at it, how about another look at some "touristy" attractions outside of Bangkok...floating market, Bridge on the River Kwai, Ayutthaya?...I think I might have asked this question, but I too, am losing my memory (and it's not even 3 trips ago...it's just last week!)
Oct 23rd, 2003, 07:53 PM

The website for John Gray's Sea Canoe looks like it offers nice day or evening trips (however all the "operators" seem to go to the same places) I think I read on the net that the afternoon trip starts when most tours end..so you end up with more privacy...anyone know if this is true?...does anyone know if it is possible to arrange for affordable private or semi-private excursions?

Anyone know of a good snorkeling trip - any reviews I've read so far have been described as disapointing.

Jodo, James A, rhkkmk, cicerone, kathie & all else ...your questions/replys are a wealth of information for us...thank you over and over!
Oct 24th, 2003, 11:25 AM

In November 2002, we took the day trip with them. It was superb. The individual guide assigned to us was perfect. He even managed to work around claustrophobia to get us into the center of the Karsts. The food on the trip back was delicious. HAve a good time.
Oct 25th, 2003, 03:53 PM

In Feb 2003 we went on a 1/2 day snorkeling trip from Phucket to Khai Nok and Khai Nai, 2 small islands off the eastern coast. It sounded too "touristy" for us (arranged thru the hotel), but was a wonderful trip. As soon as we snorkeled away from the swimming/shore area, the sealife was great: zillions of colorful fish, lobster, even a baracuda! On shore they treated us to unlimited fresh fruit and cookies. We also joined a dive boat one day and just snorkeled around in the places they were diving.

About an hour's drive outside of Bangkok we visited a floating market in Lam Paya (?) where we were the only non-Asians. It was great. We even took a barge down the river to a temple and rice farming museum.

Search this Thread