Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Jim Thompson Factory Outlet (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/jim-thompson-factory-outlet-545201/)

MiniAK Jul 19th, 2005 12:21 AM

Jim Thompson Factory Outlet

Hi!
Does the Jim Thompson Factory Outlet keep only fabrics or does it also have apparel, handbags etc? Also I have read on the forum that one must eat at a Jim Thompson restaurant. Does the factory outlet have an eating place? If not, which shops have an eating place attached to it? Thanks

hobbes Jul 19th, 2005 01:36 AM

The outlet has almost everything available in the main store - last seasons stuff so significant discount. That includes tshirts, handbags, sarongs, silk shirts, home furnishings (cushion covers, runners, napkins) - DEF worth a visit. The JT restaurant is not at the outlet. There is one at the main JT shop at Suriwong Road. There is a really nice stand alone one in Silom set in a bungalow.

MiniAK Jul 19th, 2005 02:22 AM

Oh great.. I don’t want to purchase anything very expensive but at the same time defi want to buy some JT stuff. Don’t mind picking up “not the latest stuff:” as I’m not a very fashion conscious person… How are the JT restaurants? Are they worth a visit for a Vegetarian?

hobbes Jul 19th, 2005 03:51 AM

My partner is veggie, no problems. IN Thailand people are accomodating. If there is nothing veg you want on the menu point at something with meat and ask them to make it without. They unerstand "jai" as in Jain so tell them you are Jai and they will get it.DEF go to the outlet - it's only in Thailand that people really know what is this season and what is last! Stuff there is FAB!

simpsonc510 Jul 19th, 2005 05:32 AM

I like the JT restaurant at the JT house, near MBK mall. Nice atmosphere and tasty food. A pleasant lunch for sure.

glorialf Jul 19th, 2005 05:43 AM

I second Carole's opinion of the restaurant in JT House.

simpsonc510 Jul 19th, 2005 05:45 AM

(it's Carol without the e... I know there is another CarolE, just to clarify)

rhkkmk Jul 19th, 2005 07:59 PM

there are two outlets...the one on surawong, just down the street from the main store, basically only has fabric....

the bigger one on soi 93, sukhumvit rd has lots of fabric on 3 floors but has one floor of mixed merchandise....someone above has said that the outlet has everything that them main store has....this is not correct...they have some things that the main store has but not in any way all things....

they do have scarfs, bags, placemats, table wear, clothing (limited), t-shirts, mens and womens wear, some kids stuff, rugs, odd items, toys, silk squares, hankies, etc

the merchandise changes regularily...on our may/june trip for instance, the merchandise was about 40% different in our first and second visits (3 week interval)....

YOU CANNOT COUNT ON FINDING ANYTHING SPECIFIC THAT YOU WANT....it is just like any discount shop you may visit...go with an open mind...!!!!!

you might find just the shirt you want, but not in your color or size requirement...

institcher Jul 20th, 2005 11:16 AM

Learned from our recent visit: Hotel JT shops have the same prices as the main JT store. Outlet prices were better, of course. Also, there is a JT store at the airport where prices seem to be minus the VAT.
We ate in 2 JT restaurants, and the food was good. Dessert alone was worth the trip!

Kathie Jul 20th, 2005 11:23 AM

Yes, there are standard prices for JT merchandise, and all of the regular stores in Thailand have the same prices. The main store, of course, has much more variety in merchandise than do the smaller stores. The outlet is the only place that has different (lower) prices.

rhkkmk Jul 20th, 2005 08:32 PM

one exception....the special jim thompson warehouse sales have fantastic cheap prices and have an even wider range of items than does the outlet...they are in may, nov and dec that i know of and maybe sept...ask them...i saw them recently posted on their web site