Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Jiangsu province - Kunshan & Yangzhou (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/jiangsu-province-kunshan-and-yangzhou-686491/)

CanadaKate Mar 9th, 2007 04:40 PM

Jiangsu province - Kunshan & Yangzhou

Hi, all,

Our family expects to be in Kunshan and Yangzhou for 3 or 4 days each this July. I'd welcome any feedback about what to see in each city and, in particular, if there are any worthwhile sights between the two cities.

Thanks in advance,

CanadaKate

Shanghainese Mar 10th, 2007 07:28 AM

If I recall correctly during a brief visit in the last century, Kunshan had an old western church and a pretty lake. Yangzhou also has a picturesque lake. Hangzhou is close to Kunshan. and betweem K & Y is Shanghai and it's watertowns, Suzhou and Wuxi, all have more to offer than K & Y.

CanadaKate Mar 10th, 2007 06:06 PM

Thanks, Shanghainese,

We have personal reasons for visiting both Kunshan and Yangzhou and, on four previous China trips, have been there/done that/ seen Shanghai, Suzhou, watertowns.

So ... any suggestions re interesting sites/sights between Kunshan and Yangzhou would be most welcome.

CanadaKate

rkkwan Mar 10th, 2007 06:38 PM

Have you been to Wuxi? Jinjiang? Changzhou? Those are your best bets if haven't been.

Shanghainese Mar 11th, 2007 07:44 AM

Does it have to be "between" K & Y? Hangzhou is not far (hot), and in July a trip to Moganshan mountain will be a cool experience.

lxchiang Mar 12th, 2007 08:02 AM

To Shanghainese- About Moganshan Mountain (Zeijiang Province). Can you tell me how did you get there from Shanghai ? Where did you stay and how was the accommodation? What did you see etc ? In the nineteen twenties and thirties, privileged Shanghainese spent part of their summer in the cool mountain of Moganshan to avoid the sweltering heat of Shanghai. I believe it's about 150 miles from Shanghai and it's not easy to get to. Thank you in advance for your reply.

Shanghainese Mar 12th, 2007 09:00 AM

lxchiang: As a kid we went there on weeklong trips in summer with our family staying in a small villa as part of my father's workplace bonus, it is gorgeous and relaxing.

Went twice before and after 2000, took the train and bus once each to Hangzhou, we prefered the bus, it was non-stop. Then hired a car/driver to drive us to the mountain. Didn't stay on the mountain since my mother wanted to overnight at the village she was born in on the other side of the mountain.

The below is a informative site.

http://www.moganshanlodge.com/

CanadaKate Mar 12th, 2007 09:07 AM

rkkwan & Shanghainese,

Thank you both for your suggestions. You've set me to googling for more info about the places you each suggested.

Moganshan seems an intriguing place to spend a bit of time away from the heat but better for a stay of several days. We do plan to spend some time, later in our trip, at higher altitudes in Sichuan.

I'd asked about places "between" Kunshan and Yangzhou as we were thinking about breaking our travel between the two cities with any interesting stops along the way. But your pointers to other attractions in the area are appreciated.

Thank you.

CanadaKate

CanadaKate Mar 12th, 2007 09:10 AM

A supplementary question -- does anyone know how long the drive will be between Kunshan and Yangzhou? I found a good map online:

http://www.maps-of-china.net/province/jiangsum.htm

but it doesn't have a distance scale and, anyway, I know distance and time in China are only loosely connected.

Thanks in advance,

CanadaKate

rkkwan Mar 12th, 2007 09:42 AM

It's about 120 miles as the crow flies. Perhaps 140 highway miles. Even though there are freeways, don't expect average speed to exceed 50MPH or so because of construction, tolls, etc; and you pass through several large cities.

I don't know the answer, but I say at least 3 hours.

Shanghainese Mar 12th, 2007 10:07 AM

You're not thinking about driving a car yourself, right?

CanadaKate Mar 12th, 2007 10:32 AM

rkkwan --- thanks for the time and distance estimates.

Shanghainese -- no, definitely not driving a car ourselves. We'll have a car/driver for parts of our trip, as needed.

Our first trip to China was in 1982 and I have a bit of Mandarin so we're quite confident at wandering around by ourselves and navigating plane/train travel. In fact, meandering is our preferred mode of travel.

The car/driver is for ease of traveling with a 7 and 9 year old and having the ability to stop at interesting spots on our own timetable for some parts of the journey.

CanadaKate

lxchiang Mar 12th, 2007 12:48 PM

Canadakate- You probably know Kunshan is about 35 miles due WNW of Shanghai. Suzhou is about 25 miles due west of Kunshan. Yangzhou is about 60 miles (real rough estimate) NE of Nanjing - the capital of Nationalist Chinese, until '49, where the founder of Republic of China is buried.

Shanghainese Mar 12th, 2007 02:56 PM

C.D.: For kids, Wuxi is a larger city than the others with more interesting sites. Taihu Lake is huge and scenic, start at Turtle Head park and take the short ferry/cruise to Fairy Island. 3 Kingdom City and Water Margin City are former locales for tv series based on the famous historical novels, fun for kids.

http://www.travelchinaguide.com/cruise/tailake/

There is also a gigantic buddha at Lingshan mountain which we visited with relatives.

rkkwan Mar 12th, 2007 04:09 PM

Some approximate mileage:

Kunshan - Suzhou: 42km
Suzhou - Wuxi: 66km
Wuxi - Changzhou: 30km
Changzhou - Zhenjiang: 85km
Zhenjiang - Yangzhou: 40km

Total: ~260km or 160mi

Zhenjiang to Yangzhou is entirely on a brand new elevated expressway, which includes the Runyang Bridge. Its 1.49km span is the 3rd longest in the world (after ones in Japan and Denmark). It opened April 2005.

CanadaKate Mar 14th, 2007 09:46 AM

Thanks, rkkwan (for the mileage breakdown) & Shanghainese (for the location suggestions).

Our current plan is to do the drive all in one day, with a stop somewhere for lunch and a stop in Changzhou for a visit to the comb factory and, possibly, the dinosaur park (which sounds as if it would appeal to children).

CanadaKate