JFK/BKK on Thai Airways

Sep 26th, 2005, 03:37 AM
Original Poster

JFK/BKK on Thai Airways

Can anyone descripe the service/seats/food etc. on the "nearly" new service from JFK to BKK on Thai Airways. Don't bother describing the wonderful service in Royal Orchid class, that's not happening
Would also appreciate any suggestions to make this almost 18 hr flight as easy as humanly possible.
Sep 26th, 2005, 04:03 AM

I'm flying it in December but so far reports have been good. Economy seat pitch is one of the best out there. You might want to consider spending a bit more money and flying premium economy which has gotten very good reviews. But the best part is it cuts 6-8 hours off the flight

I'm flying business and would be interested in any reports from people who have flowin in that class on this flight -- I'm using ff miles.
Sep 26th, 2005, 05:15 AM

I think Gloria said it well - we are flying JFK-BKK in February, also in Business Class. Gloria, if noone chimes in between now and December, I will look forward to your report. As we are leaving on a weekday, my biggest concern is fighting morning traffic between our home in Connecticut and the airport. Hopefully the weather will be ok.
Sep 26th, 2005, 05:54 AM
Jed

We are going Thai Air JFK-BKK on Oct.30, with premium economy seats, and will post report when I get back.

gloria - Does flying premium economy really cut 6-8 hours off the flight?

We live in Philly, and since the flight leaves 11:05 AM, we are thinking of staying near JFK the night before.
Sep 26th, 2005, 06:13 AM

Compared to a 23-25 hour traditional JFK-NRT/SEL-BKK routing, a 18-hour non-stop does cut 5-7 hours off the actual travel time.
Sep 26th, 2005, 06:58 AM

I regularly fly both economy-class on Thai Air and economy-plus class on United between L.A. and Bangkok. Thai Air economy-class is cramped. I just got back last month. United's economy-plus is wonderful...very comfortable.When I'm paying for a ticket, I take Thai Air since if I have to cancel, they only charge a $75 cancellation fee. If I'm using frequent flyer miles, then I go on United. United's cancellation policy is no where as good as Thai Air's.On last month's trip, I flew into Singapore in United economy-plus and home from Bangkok on Thai Air in Thai Air's regular economy class. It was like comparing apples and oranges. United was MUCH more comfortable. Happy Travels!
Sep 26th, 2005, 07:06 AM

Thai is putting ~35-36" pitch on regular economy on their A340-500 on this route, which will match Economy+ on UA.
Sep 26th, 2005, 07:37 AM

Guen -- you don't fly out of NY on Thai do you? 123Go was asking about the new thai non stop from NY and that is the one where economy is equal to economy plus on other planes. I think you fly out of California and they are still using old equipment on those flights.
Sep 26th, 2005, 07:40 AM
Jed

From what I see, UA flies a 747 trans-Pacific. The pitch of premium economy is 34-36, and the configuration is 3-4-3.

Thai flies 340 JFK-BKK, with 36 pitch in regular, 2-4-2. The premium is 42 pitch, with a 2-3-2 configuration.

Guenmai - Since the pitch on UA premium is listed about the same a Thai regular, what makes UA more comfortable? What am I missing?
Sep 26th, 2005, 07:59 AM

Also, UA's 747s don't have individual screens in economy or economy+. However, more and more routes are flown with 777, and those do have personal video screens.
Sep 26th, 2005, 08:05 AM

hello there. I have flown the direct Thai-airway flight from BKK-JFK last june just after it was launched, flight 790. It is a airbus,A340-500 with i beleve 215 seats. I flew premium Economy, loved it, and worth every cent for that slightly upgraded class of service that falls somewhere above economy and nowhere near business. 17 hours went like a breeze, well at least the first 13. Premium economy was very comfortable, much more leg room than economy, and leg rests too, a much bigger pith than economy-about 6/7 inches more, and also a bigger overall decline in the seats. Also, the seat configuaration in this premium class is 2-3-2, versus 2-4-2 in economy and a luscious 2-2-2 in Royalty!, so that is it! oh, what else, a little info, there are 60 seats in Royal silk, 42 in premium economy and 113 in economy, not the biggest of planes! If you can afford it, go premium over economy, no comparison really. A bit more abut the flight and other details. I actually started the routing in Delhi with a nice long layover in BKK. U can certainly link up to other Asian destinations and use BKK as your base if you are going elsehwere/comming from elsewhere in the region. Also, if you fly the big route premium economy, it is only slightly higher to add on business to other destinations as that is what i do with Delhi. One more thing about premium economy, you have one cabin of your own, but you share the toilets with economy in the middle. Do not take a seat at the end rows of premium economy, or u will have alot of the clutter of doors. The flight about 16-17 hours, the service was good, three meals, more or less, and plenty of drinks, singhas, wine, etc. Also, everybody gets a inflight entertainment system, so plenty to play with. I am actually returning to Delhi in less than two weeks via this exact routing again, flight 791 jfk-bkk with another lengthy stop-over in BKK so i can experince the return flight too. Any specific questions i can report after i fly again this routing, jfk-bkk this time, but i am sure it will also be smooth as silk! take care, happy travels.
Sep 26th, 2005, 08:18 AM

Jed-- I think Guen was comparing thai from LA to UA premium and that thai aircraft is very different from the one that goes from NY.
Sep 26th, 2005, 08:19 AM
Original Poster

glorialf and craig, I'll be flying it in November and will be sure to give you an update when I return. Won't be in business but will be in premium economy.

jed would love to get your report but I'm sure you won't be back before we leave. We'll all have to compare notes when we all return.

About the travel time differences between Thai and UA, I looked at comparable flight times JFK-BKK.
Thai is non stop and takes 17.55
The United JFK-NRT is 14.10 plus about a 3 hr layover in NRT, then NRT-BKK is another 7 hrs. Total flight 21.40 plus 3 hr layover = 24.40 vs 17.55 (I know there is more than one routing, but this one is most like Thai).

So anyway, has no one out there actually flown JFK-BKK yet? Good pillows/blankets? Do they give you eye cover things (forgot what you call them)How many meals/movies etc. Any complimentary drinks or has that gone to the wayside just like every other airline?

Thanks for all the feedback.
MaryAnn
Sep 26th, 2005, 08:29 AM

I've read that the blankets are nice and that 3 meals are served. Drinks are free. You'll have your own tv with movie selections which you can play whenever you want.
Sep 26th, 2005, 08:33 AM
Original Poster

glorialf, thanks, just what I wanted to hear.
Sep 26th, 2005, 08:38 AM

hello there. MaryAnne, did you see my post? I just wrote extensively about the flight and my experince in premium economy in my earlier post which i took in JUNE, TG 790 DIRECT-bkk-jfk, the flight in question-just the oppostie direction! Yes, three meals are served and plenty of drinks. Premium economy is well-worth-it! blankets are comfortable, plenty of pillows, no eye-cover in economy and wonderful in-flight entertainment system with plenty of movie choices! happy travels.
Sep 26th, 2005, 08:43 AM

how was the food?
Sep 26th, 2005, 09:01 AM

The food, well, there is the glitch. In premium economy the food is just the same as economy! There is absolutely no differnce in the food service between economy and premium! I wAS a bit surprised by that. I am generally quite a fan of thai-airlines food serice, but beacuase the flight leaves BKK early a.m, they started with a lite-meal, ( a choice of tuna-sandwhich or pizza-nothing else?)whereas i was all prepared for a large meal/DINNER/drinks before a good looooog sleep. I spoke to the person in charge and said how hungry i was and prepared for a good meal and they brought me a meal from business, ha ha. The other two meals later on were fine! SO actually there were not three full-hearty meals on the BKK_jfk SECTOR, it was more like two meals and a snack-meal and this is a long journey, so meals would be my only complaint. However, going JFK-bKK the trip starts mid-day and ends later afternoon, so i am sure it will start with a lunch and probably have the three full-meals as it said so on website. So, *if anything* the only complaint about premium ecocnomy on this route-bkk-jfk would be a bit on the meal service, but there were as much drinks as you could ask for! so bring some extra snacks, just in case! Also, i flew in the first weeks of service, so perhaps they have changed some things around by now in terms of food-service and timings. But overall, very much looking forward to return via this flight early October. happy travels.
Sep 26th, 2005, 09:02 AM
Original Poster

Bonita,
I just read your reply, don't know how I missed it in the first place. Very informative, just what I was hoping to hear. Thanks for sending the second message.
Sep 26th, 2005, 09:06 AM

MaryAnn, your welcome!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO