Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   JB to Parit Sulong perhaps via Muar or Batu Pahat (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/jb-to-parit-sulong-perhaps-via-muar-or-batu-pahat-855261/)

enrique14 Aug 18th, 2010 04:05 PM

JB to Parit Sulong perhaps via Muar or Batu Pahat

The post below is about getting from JB to Parit Sulong. My wife is particularly keen to see the memorial there.

1. If we are looking at travelling by bus, I understand we would look for a bus from Larkin Bus terminal.

2. Which bus line(s) would go to Batu Pahat or Muar?

3. Is it possible to see any timetables on-line?

4. Would it be relatively easy to get a taxi in Batu Pahat or Muar to go to Parit Sulong?

5. Any idea of possible taxi fare for Batu Pahat or Muar to Parit Sulong?

6. An alternative may be to charter a taxi from JB to Parit Sulong.

7. Where in JB should we charter the taxi? Larkin or another place?

8. Should we look for a particular type / colour of taxi? I have seen mention of 'long distance taxis'.

9. Any idea of possible taxi fare for JB to Parit Sulong?

I understand a taxi may take approximately 3 hours to get to Parit Sulong.

I also understand that it may be possible to hire a taxi in JB to go to Melaka via Parit Sulong. Is this possible, and any idea of a possible fare......obviously by negotiation.

Any advice you can give would be appreciated

shah07 Aug 18th, 2010 11:48 PM

Hi Enrique14,

I have checked from you previous topic that you are coming from Singapore. My advise is to rent a car either in JB or Singapore and drive down to Parit Sulong either via federal road or highway and assuming that you have with you Johor map or Malaysian map. This is more convenience rather than waiting for the bus or look for the taxi which is a bit expensive and you don't have a chance to see the 'Kampung' view.

Cilla_Tey Aug 18th, 2010 11:49 PM

This is my advice which may be outdated as I haven't taken a taxi from JB since the 90s and Muar since the 80s. I am more familiar with leaving from KL and can even recommend some drivers who go "outstation" but I don't know anyone from JB. Express buses are now very comfortable and frequent so I gather. Coming from the south you would be better off to get to Batu Pahat. From Batu Pahat at the taxi stand it's probably best to charter the whole taxi to the memorial as opposed to just to Parit Sulong (sorry I am assuming the memorial is on the outskirts) though Parit Sulong is tiny. In the tropics one does not wish to walk. Taxi fares are cheap but if you are a "tourist" I am afraid the fares will be inflated a few times. I wouldn't pay more than RM$100 for the return taxi fares from BPahat to PSulong. Bus fares are fixed (ie JB to BP). And if you want convenience try to find a good driver from JB (and I don't mean from the taxi stand) who can quote you from JB to PS return. Possibly around RM$400 to RM$600. Try asking for a recommendation in Tripadvisor.

enrique14 Aug 19th, 2010 01:08 PM

Many thanks for your assistance and information. I have also posted the questions on Trip Advisor. It's not easy to find the answers. Terima kasih