Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Japan with $2200 doable? (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/japan-with-2200-doable-769276/)

Silarem Feb 24th, 2009 07:41 AM

Japan with $2200 doable?

Im considering going to Japan for a week in November but I have a budget only about $2200. The flight only cost $1300 (departing from DC) which leaves me with $900 for land only expenses; is this doable?
I was looking at some “homestays” options, as oppose to hostels, which offer private rooms for a range of prices ($36-70 per day) and some of them includes meals. I also have 1 free night at a Hilton hotel in Tokyo…. Should I keep doing research or are there any other better options out there (perhaps a tour company) or should I just wait and save more $?

cruisinred Feb 24th, 2009 07:43 AM

How many nights would you be in Japan? How many places will you visit (need to include travel costs between places)?

Silarem Feb 24th, 2009 09:44 AM

Subtracting the traveling time I assume that 5 to 6 nights maximum. In terms of places that I want to visit I’m open to any options and don’t want to stay all the time in the capital area.

cruisinred Feb 24th, 2009 12:31 PM

My first thought.....a long way to travel for just 5 or 6 days in Japan. That really only leaves enough time for Tokyo and then likely Kyoto.
I think you can also do a bit better than $1300 on the airfare...if you wait a bit, and keep looking you should be able to get something closer to $1100 from what I can see on kayak.com...so that would give you a bit more $ for the hotel/internal transport budget.

LMGSONIC Feb 24th, 2009 05:26 PM

I agree with cruisinred that it's a long way to travel for such a short time. But, if you're able to do flights mid-week, I am seeing some direct flights on United from Dulles for November (flying Wed-Wed) for less than a thousand.

hawaiiantraveler Feb 24th, 2009 09:17 PM

It is doable.....the question is are you serious?

citywalks Feb 25th, 2009 03:51 AM

I've traveled in Japan on a budget so this might help based on my experience. Stay in one of the discount hotel groups, such as Toyoku Inn. Eat in train stations (e.g. giant bowl of noodles for very low cost). Always use subways in large cities to get around. This is doable!

puttakka Feb 25th, 2009 05:30 AM

Totally doable, BUT I think $1300 is high for November travel. I just scored a June open-jaw tickey, in high season, from Boston, for less than $1100. Where are you flying from? I saw tickets as low as $798 for Nov travel last year from Boston.

If I were you, I'd wait, and get a one-week railpass so you can get out of the capital for cheap - maybe start in Tokyo, head down to Kyoto, then maybe Miyajima, then hit Himeji on your way back up. and maybe fly out of Osaka??? Also, read the Lonely Planet & Rough Guides (and maybe Fodor's!!!) for cheap places to stay).

Virtualvicki Feb 25th, 2009 05:20 PM

someone just posted that United has got a fare from the east coast for under 700 bucks and it looks like American has matched it!