Japan-weather in August

Search

Japan-weather in August

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24th, 2003, 06:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Japan-weather in August

I was considering booking a tour of Japan in early August but heard it's very hot and humid. Is it worth booking a trip in the summer or do you thing it would be too uncomfortable?
Old Apr 24th, 2003, 07:34 PM

It can be humid at this time of the year, also very overcast and rainy. If this worries you, I would look at going at another time. Spring and autumn are lovely.
Old Apr 24th, 2003, 07:36 PM

Where in Japan would you be going? Tokyo will be grilling. Hokkaido will be very pleasant. And you'll be able to see beautiful lavender there in early August.

Do a search on 'lavender' and you'll see my "Tokyo/Hokkaido trip report" and info on lavender viewing. We were there last year in late August.
Old Apr 25th, 2003, 12:25 AM

Bonjour Annk,

Yes, August is hot and humid, but there is plenty to do and see, air conditionning and cold drinks are everywhere, almost every city, town, and village holds a festival, etc.

Just check the dates of the O-bon festival with www.jnto.go.jp ("when to go&quot to make sure you don't plan on travelling inside Japan when everybody is in the trains and planes visiting their family.
Old Apr 25th, 2003, 02:38 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your responses. I would love to go during cherry-blossom time or the fall but cannot due to my work schedule. Both tours I am interested in start in Tokyo end in Osaka. Would love to see the festivals as mentioned so I will probably just take my chances and sweat it out!
Old Apr 25th, 2003, 05:13 PM

if august is ur only chance, jpn is definitely worth it. heat/humidity have often been compared to washington dc at the height of summer. it's physically uncomfortable, but the sights and experiences make u forget this. just keep refreshing urself w/ cold water, shaved ice snacks and air conditioning.
Old May 1st, 2003, 09:54 PM

May I suggest a website I have found very useful:

www.weather.com

click on the "World" tab at the top. Then type in "Japan" in the open field. This will give you a list of all cities in Japan for which they have both the current 10-day forecast (useful for planning your packing right before the trip) as well as an option to view historial records and trends. You can see historical average temperatures and rainfail, month by month and day by day.