Search

Tokyo Travel

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13th, 2009, 02:13 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tokyo Travel

We will be in Tokyp late March and wish to take a day trip to Mt Fuji. We need to get from the Mercure Hotel in Ginza to Hamamatsucho Station to catch the bus. Does anyone know how far this is, how long it will take to get there and what is the best way of getting there fairly early in the morning? Has anyone used Viator Tours? Thanks SJF
Old Feb 13th, 2009, 03:04 AM

To get to Hamamatsucho, you can either take a taxi of the subway. It's not a terribly long cab ride, probably between ¥1000-¥1600. It's of course cheaper, and simple, to take the subway.

The Hamamatsucho station is on the JR Yamanote line, and the Mercure hotel is closest to the Ginza station. From the Ginza station, take the Ginza line 1 stop to Shimbashi station. At Shimbashi, change to the JR Yamanote line and go 1 stop to Hamamatsucho. Allow 15 minutes for travel time. Be sure to find out before you leave which exit you should take at Hamamatsucho station.
Old Feb 13th, 2009, 06:38 AM

To avoid having to change at Shimbashi, walk to Higashi Ginza station (about same distance as Ginza station) and get on Toei Subway Asakusa line to Daimon. Follow signs for B4 (elevator available) to Hamamatsucho bus terminal, where Viator bus leaves from (just checked website).
Old Feb 13th, 2009, 12:42 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for the advice. We have never been to Tokyo and it is all a bit daunting! I am sure we wilol now find our way. SJF
Old Feb 13th, 2009, 10:47 PM

We took day tours with Viator in other countries, and always we hwere pleased with them. They work with very serious local companies with good guides and buses and the prices are OK.

I take the liberty to give and advice: If I would think to take only one tour, I would not take Mt. Fuji, as it is a very long time to be spent in the bus and it is not sure that the visibility will permit to see the mountain.
Maybe is better to have 2 days tour, so you can visit Hakone also and have the experience of an onsen.

For one day trip, we loved the trip to Nikko. I know that you can not compare these two tours, but for us, it was more to visit and to see in Nikko than in the day of our trip to Mt. Fuji (we had this 2 days tour).

One more suggestion: for sure there are hotels in Ginza with pick up for the tour. If you can ask Viator to pick you up from one of these hotels, I think that it will be a lot easier for you, probably you will just walk til there