Japan - Takayama area

Old Jul 18th, 2006, 01:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Japan - Takayama area

I have about 3 days/3nights to spend in the Takayama area and I am wondering if anyone can offer advise on how to spend that time. I am planning to spend a day in Takayama, but from what I gather one day is probably enough time there. Where else would you suggest? Would you go to Shirokawa-go/Ogimachi? I think most people only spend a day there, as well, so I am wondering if I should head up to Kanazawa. The only thing I am worried about is that we have a decent amount of travel on either side of this region (coming from Kyoto, going to Nagoya at end) so don't want to travel a ton.

Thank you in advance!
Old Jul 18th, 2006, 04:40 PM

Hi,
We just return from Japan and spent three days and two nights in Takayama. It is well worth the time and I think you'll have plenty of time.

On our first afternoon, we visited the old historic section. On the second day, we visited the morning markets and several temples outside the historic section then we hired a guide for a half a day to basically read signs and interpret for us. We asked her to really show us around the old section and take us to the major temples. It was well worth the $100USD.

We wish we had a third full day to go to Shirokawa so I think you'll have just the right time.

Takayama is very small so two days exploring there and one outing to Shirokawa seems perfectly right to me.

there are dozens of restruants and the food is excellent...varies from expensive to cheap but all good.

KSC
Old Jul 18th, 2006, 05:14 PM

You'll have two full days and two part-days. A day trip to Shirakawago would be a good idea.

You can see the sights of Takayama in a day, but you can of course spend more time as the other poster did. If you go to Shirakawago then you can skip visiting the Hida no Sato in Takayama.

The Green Hotel in Takayama has a nice onsen (the only one in Takayama).
Old Jul 18th, 2006, 05:20 PM

You have a bit of time in excess of what you need for Takayama and Shirakawago but not enought to go to Kanazawa. Hirayu Onsen and/or Kamikochi are not far by bus from Takayama, same for Gero Onsen which you can reach by rail. You could just take your time with Takayama and Shirakawago.
Old Jul 19th, 2006, 04:46 AM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone. Just what I wanted to hear!