Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

Japan: Suggestions for hotesl and revised itinary before tomorrow's trip to Japan Travel Bureau in San Francisco?

Japan: Suggestions for hotesl and revised itinary before tomorrow's trip to Japan Travel Bureau in San Francisco?

Old Mar 27th, 2008, 09:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Author: cmstraf
Date: 03/28/2008, 01:46 am
Thanks to everyone for suggestions. We have a few more questions before we go to Japan Travel Bureau in San Francisco tomorrow or Monday in hopes of getting lodging reservations in Shiragawa-go, Kyoto and Koya-san.

SF-Tokyo November 13. Osaka-SF November 30.

4 nights Tokyo (Park Hotel)
1 night Hakone (with Japanese friend of my father's)
2 nights Shiragawa-go
6 nights Kyoto
2 nights Koya-san
1 night Kyoto OR Hiroshima/Miyajima

Questions are:
*Are 2 nights in Shiragawa-go and/or Koya-san too much? We would like some time for being as well as doing and my husband hates changing hotels (his vote would have been for 8 nights Tokyo, 8 nights Kyoto but it's my birthday celebration)
*Better to return to Kyoto for last night or go on to Hiroshima for overnite rather than doing as daytrip from Kyoto? Our flight leaves out of Osaka around 5pm
*Suggestions for Kyoto hotel? Our price range around $250 (keeps going up). Granvia showed $350. We love location of Brighton and Westin (too expensive and booked)--anyone know of more moderable hotels near there?
*Best moment for ryokan (not Hakone, our friend said he would do reserving there)?
*Other addition, subtraction suggestions?
Domo arrigato

Old Mar 27th, 2008, 10:54 PM

Hyatt Regency in Kyoto, when booked through a Virtuoso agent, has a favorable rate and benefits of breakfast for 2, ¥3500 F & B credit per stay, upgrade upon arrival if available. We have booked 3 nights in September there. Their direct booking rates for November are astronomical, though...Virtuoso will be better, but still not in your budget maybe.

Okura? Business hotels like APA, Tokyu, Toyoko Inn...reservations can't be made this early for them, but no worries, there are pretty much always rooms available at some business hotel somewhere.

You could stay in Osaka and take the train 30 minutes to go to Kyoto for sightseeing. The Osaka Hilton is nice enough, join Hilton Honors if you haven't already and spouse stays free benefit will allow you to book the single person rate, saving you some money. Deluxe rooms are newly redone in the last couple of years. Restaurants are good in house, and lots and lots of choices in walking distance. Plenty to see in Osaka too.

Granvia Kyoto has not loaded rates into their Japanese language booking engine...and that's where there are usually very good special rates rather than in English. Only rack rates in English right now. It's early yet.

You might find 2 nights in Shirakawa-go too much...it is a small town. On the other hand, you could take advantage of some activities that time there if you had 2 nights. With prior reservation, you can make soba. There are some nice hiking trails around there. You are traveling quite a distance and time to get there between Hakone and Kyoto...maybe take a night off of Koya-san and a night off of Shirakawa-go and spend 2 nights in Kanazawa before going to Tokyo?
Old Mar 27th, 2008, 11:02 PM

Wow where to start.... I find JTB to be a good source for hotel and ryokan in Japan. They have good resource and lots of places on their database for the smaller and more obscure towns in Japan. All listings they list in bigger cities can be done by yourself usually on the hotels own websites.

I would do 1 nite each in Koya and S Go....add 1 nite to either Kyoto or Tokyo(most likely Tokyo) and 1 nite in Miyajima,not Hiroshima.

If I had to do 2 nites in one of the places I guess I would choose Koyasan for the 2 nites.

If your husband hates to pack and change hotels you should do more days in Kyoto and Tokyo and plan day trips to Hakone(from Tokyo) and Hiroshima/Miyajima from Kyoto.

You can also do a night in Miyajima from Kyoto with no baggage to please your husband(leave at Kyoto hotel for pickup the next day or ship via takuhaibin service to your next destination)so you can travel very lightly. See:

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e2278.html

If you stay at a ryokan on Miyajima you will literally only need the clothes on your back when you check in. Everything else you need will be provided(toothpaste,toothbrush,pj's, etc, etc.) You could bring one small bag with your other essentials.

Also try Hyatt dot com and check the Hyatt in Kyoto for accommodations.

Also check if you need budget accommodations in either city

http://www.tokyuhotelsjapan.com/en/index.html

Aloha!
Old Mar 27th, 2008, 11:12 PM

Kim and I were posting at the same time.... also if you want to book the Hyatt in Kyoto....if you join their Gold Passport club you will be entitled to specials that are not available to non members.

Right now they are having a special where you can book at 30% off their published rates at most Hyatt's worldwide. Membership is free and specials for members(especially with status)happen frequently.

They also have a special involving instant Platinum membership.....see for details

hyatt.com

Aloha!
Old Mar 28th, 2008, 06:11 AM
Original Poster

Thank you, Kim Japan and Hawaiian Traveler; I'll see if JTB has a lower than rack rate with either the Hyatt or the Granvia and checkout the budget website when I can (I have to work this morning). Unfortunately, adding a night to Tokyo is a bit awkward. We had planned 5 nights there, but my father's Japanese friend said that it was too much and then offered to accompany us to Hakone. I am afraid contradicting him might be perceived as not being respectful. We think he may feel responsible for entertaining us although we have never met him (he was a close business associate of my father's for many years).

Mille grazie and aloha, cmstraf
Old Mar 28th, 2008, 11:34 AM
kja

Hi, cmstraf -

I think KimJapan's suggestion of spending only 1 night at Shiragawa-go and 1 night at Koyasan so that you can add 2 nights in Kanazawa is a very good idea. I don't think you would miss too much by shortening those visits, and Kanazawa has some truly wonderful things. I also agree with hawaiiantraveler that it would be better to spend the night in Miyajima than in Hiroshima (which you can see on your way to or from Miyajima).

Hope that helps!