Japan Rail fares

Jul 9th, 2002, 10:12 PM
ThomasH

Japan Rail fares

Hi, can anyone tell me what would be the JR fare (on average) between 2 JR rail stations in Tokyo City, for example between JR Tokyo station and JR Shinjuku station. I can't find the fare schedule anywhere in the internet, but I need to do budgetting on travel in Tokyo. Thanks in advance!

Jul 10th, 2002, 03:05 AM
Florence

Bonjour Thomas,

If I remember correctly, it must be around yen 220 on JR Chuo or Yamanote lines (Tokyo residents, please ?)

Check http://www.jnto.go.jp/eng/GA/Transportation/trains.html for information on daypasses. The Tokunai Free Kippu (One-day pass for JR trains (other than express trains) within the 23 Wards. 730 yen) is a good value for money, since JR lines will take you almost everywhere you need inside Tokyo.

Jul 10th, 2002, 04:32 AM
ThomasH

Thank you, Florence.

As I intend to stay in Tokyo for 3 days with a day trip to Yokohama, and then move on to Osaka for another 4 days and making a day trip to Kyoto, I am still contemplating whether to get a JR Rail Pass. I understand that if I don't get a JR Rail Pass, I need to pay a reservation surcharge if I make seat reservation for the Shinkansen ride from Tokyo to Osaka. Would you know how much is the surcharge? Many thanks.

Jul 10th, 2002, 06:06 AM
Florence

Unless you fly back home through OSaka, definitely get a 7 days railpass! On top of being more economical than a return fare between Tokyo and Osaka, you can use it within and around Tokyo and Kyoto.

You can find timetables and fares at http://www.jnto.go.jp/db/traffic/

Jul 11th, 2002, 07:07 AM
w

Please follow the below link. It will give you the complete map of the entire Tokyo train systems. If you then follow the link for 'Travel Expert' you can input any two stations and it will tell you all the feasible routes (with connections), travel times and fares. It is very useful.

One other tip. When you are in a station trying to figure out the fare and unable to read the Japanese don't spend too much time. Just buy the cheapest ticket. When you arrive at your destination put your ticket into the add value machine (near the exit)and it will tell you how much additonal money you owe. This is for subways and local trains but not, of course, for intercity trains and Shinkansen.

Jul 11th, 2002, 07:07 AM
w

Please follow the below link. It will give you the complete map of the entire Tokyo train systems. If you then follow the link for 'Travel Expert' you can input any two stations and it will tell you all the feasible routes (with connections), travel times and fares. It is very useful.

One other tip. When you are in a station trying to figure out the fare and unable to read the Japanese don't spend too much time. Just buy the cheapest ticket. When you arrive at your destination put your ticket into the add value machine (near the exit)and it will tell you how much additonal money you owe. This is for subways and local trains but not, of course, for intercity trains and Shinkansen.

http://www2.gol.com/users/pbw/tokyosub.htm

Jul 11th, 2002, 11:24 PM
ThomasH

Hi W,

Thanks so much for the weblink - it helps!!

Jul 12th, 2002, 07:50 AM
w

Happy to help

Jul 15th, 2002, 08:14 AM
nori

Kon-nichiwa,Thomas
I am a Japanese living in Europe. Just checked on JR site(Japanese) the fares
in question.

Tokyo-Osaka 8510 yen - ticket
4250 - Shikansen suppl.
Total 12760
Round trip is just double > 25520 yen > Approx. 225 us dollors. How much
does a week JR pass cost ? Plus remember with JR pass, JR Urban lines are free such as Tokyo/Shinjuku/
Akihabara, etc. Also Narita Express between Narita Airport and Tokyo (1920 yen > 16 US oneway, suppl incl)is included.

Being a resident outside Japan for more than 10 years, I am able to buy JR pass in Europe and use back in my home country. Besides it paid easily by doing a long distance return trip on Shinkansen-bullet train, the big advantage was you show the pass at the
reservation counter and they give you
the reservation ticket or if you are really in a hurry you hop on any shinkansen train which is leaving, preferebably on the coach-non reserved
seats and take your seat. That is so easy especially when I remember how I had to queue at ther reseravtion counter
when I was living in Tokyo.
Hope you enjoy your trip.

ps.Tokyo-Shinjuku (by chuo-line, straight one and not round Yamanote line) is 190 yen/1,70 us. This too, you don't have to buy before each ride if you have the pass.

Jul 15th, 2002, 01:03 PM
Florence

Bonjour Nori,

Where do you live in Switzerland ? I just moved from Geneva to nearby France.

Thanks for the precisions about trains fares. It's been almost 3 years since I was last in Tokyo, my memory is not that precise.

Jul 15th, 2002, 11:58 PM
nori

Hi Florence, your memoriy is perfectly alright. 190/220 yen are about the same.
It's not like 190/220 euro. Only my numbers came from JR site.Otherwise I couldn't have told exactly either.

By the way I live in Geneva. We could have been neibours !

Jul 16th, 2002, 12:16 AM
Florence

Bonjour Nori,

I still work in Geneva, and I play kendo here (Kendo club Vernier). We are still neighbours, then.

Aug 6th, 2002, 12:56 AM
Liz

Hi,
Could one of you explain to me why the fare tables for the JR Rail always have 3 figures for each journey? There is one which looks to be the basic price of the ticket, another which is often described as "Charge" and the last one which is the total of these 2 prices.
For example, for Tokyo to Nagoya by shinkasen, it is 6090 plus 5250 (the charge) = 11340 yen.
Also, I have found that the cost for a ticket from Narita airport to Tokyo is 3140 yen which seems a lot off from what Nori has provided.
Would appreciate any help from the 'panel'

Aug 6th, 2002, 03:07 AM
Florence

Bonjour Liz,

JR Narita express to Tokyo station costs Y 2940

Y 1920 is the price of the Keisei Skyliner from Narita airport to Ueno (the best way in my opinion)

Details at http://www.jnto.go.jp/eng/GA/Airport/narita_ap.html

The fares table list the price of the ordinary train + the shinkansen (bullet train) surcharge, and the total of both. You can still use regular trains, but it is much, much longer than with the Shinkansen.

Next question ? ;-)

Aug 6th, 2002, 05:18 PM
Liz

Merci Florence!
You've been a great help. I do have another question actually! Where would you recommend taking a day trip from Kyoto and if so what should we see? I was thinking Nara.
Thanks again

Aug 6th, 2002, 09:21 PM
Florence

If you take only one daytrip, then definitely Nara. If you have more time, You can consider visiting Himeji Castle (about 1 hour by Shinkansen) or Kurashiki.

Aug 7th, 2002, 12:19 AM
Florence

Liz,

I just noticed your mail address is in the UK. If you can, pay a visit to the office of JNTO in London (in Saville Row) and see their website at http://www.seejapan.co.uk/

They can give or send you lots of free informations, leaflets, maps, etc. I was there last month and discovered there are now a number or regional passes that offer reductions on museums, local transportation, shopping and exhibition.

Aug 7th, 2002, 06:01 AM
Liz

What would we do without you, Florence? Definitely useful advice AGAIN! Thank you!

Since you are familiar with ryokans in Kyoto, do you know if it is common for
them to allow guests to reserve the common baths for a private bath? This is completely unrelated (and I do apologise) but I thought you might check in here again.

Also, do you have any recommendations for a hotel in Kyoto for the nights we won't be at a ryokan? We will probably stay at the ryokan on the last night there.

Many thanks again

Aug 7th, 2002, 07:58 AM
Florence

Liz,

I don't stay in hotels or in fancy ryokans, always in inexpensive ryokans, members or the Welcome Inns or Japanese Inns Group. You'll find links here: http://www.jnto.go.jp/eng/PS/AI/links.html . My favorite in Kyoto is Hiraiwa (Yen 4500/person/night), "private use of a common bath". There are many in this price range, some with private baths. They are, IMO, very good value for money, and despite not having all the room and private service of higher end ryokans, are the "real thing".

Search this Thread