Reload this Page >

Singapore - Orchard Road

Search

Singapore - Orchard Road

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 02:03 AM
Lia

Singapore - Orchard Road

What are the nearest/best shopping places near the Hilton International Hotel along Orchard Road in Singapore? Preferably a 5 to 10 minute walk.

Old Aug 2nd, 2002, 04:58 PM
SSG

Lia,<BR>Was this question written just for me? I live on a street off Orchard Road and I love shopping!<BR>Orchard Road is a pedestrian shopping mall (about a mile long) with many shopping complexes along it. The Hilton is at one end of it. It takes me about 20 mins to walk the part of the mall from the Hilton to Centrepoint, which is the main shopping zone so basically everything is within walking distance from the Hilton. The most popular shopping complexes are about 5 to 10 mins from the Hilton. If you haven't already booked your hotel tho and if you really want to be in on the shopping action, you might want to station yourself in the thick of things and stay at the Mandarin or Marriott hotels which are a bit closer. The most popular shopping complexes on Orchard Road right now are TANGS Dept Store (which is where the Marriott is), NGEE ANN CITY, the biggest shopping complex on Orchard Road which has the famous Takashimaya Dept Store as its anchor tenant, leading brand designer shops, Kinokuniya, a wonderful bookstore and a host of food and beverage outlets, the HEEREN which has the music megastore HMV, Movenpick Marche a popular eating place and other shops which appeal to the younger crowd and CENTREPOINT which also has some interesting shops. Shopping in Singapore could mean very different things to different people, if you're looking for reasonable casual wear, Orchard Road is your best bet, if you're looking to buy electronics, there are other places you could check out. Likewise for things with a little more cultural or artistic value, you would go to other parts of town. If you would like more detailed information, let me know.

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 06:10 PM
Lia

Thanks, I would love to go to all the places you mentioned but I'll only be staying overnight so I'll probably stick to the nearest ones. Is the Borders store near the hotel? Also I heard that there's an IKEA store in Orchard I'm not sure though where its at. Hope you can help again : )

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 06:23 PM
sheldon

Hi Lia,<BR><BR>Borders - Far East Shopping Centre - Hilton in that order. Easily 150 meters away. Borders is housed in a building called Lane Crawford.<BR><BR>IKEA is not on Orchard Road but on Alexandra Road which is a 10 minute taxi ride away. The only buses that go conveniently there are 33, 64 and 195 all of which are out-of-the-way from where you'll be staying.

Old Aug 5th, 2002, 06:39 PM
SSG

Hi Lia,<BR>You can easily cover the Orchard Road shopping strip in a day if you aren't too jet lagged!! You just have to focus focus focus! Forget Ikea, it is as sheldon says a 10 min cab ride from Orchard Road. Borders is in Wheelock Place a block from the Hilton (2 mins away). The anchor tenant of that building used to be Lane Crawford the well known Hong Kong dept store but that closed down maybe 6 years ago and the place is not referred to by that name anymore. I still find Kinokuniya at NGEE ANN CITY (level 3) the better bookstore tho even tho Borders just had a much needed facelift. The choice of books just isn't as wide. Sheldon mentioned Far East Shopping Centre. That's definitely a place for tourist buys. The other would be Lucky Plaza (3 mins from Borders). Far East is about 7 or 8 mins from Borders. Its on Scotts Road which branches off Orchard Road at the main Orchard/Scotts intersection. The place has seen better days and the only reason I go there is for Sunny's the second hand bookstore (level 2) or good yakitori at Nanbantei (level 5, I think).<BR>Let me know if you need more info and when you will be here. August 9 is National Day, a public holiday but the stores will still be open.<BR>

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 06:30 PM
Lia

Thanks SSG and Sheldon. I appreciate the tips from other shopping addicts like myself I'll be in town on the 22nd of this month. How's the weather there now?

Old Aug 6th, 2002, 07:48 PM
SSG

Its slightly hazy with occasional midday showers. Temperatures are<BR>as usual around 30 - 32C during the day.<BR>Since you'll be shopping on a weekday, you'll have a great time at the shops - start early

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 03:11 AM
naser

can i used travel chek in singapore and usa dolar there ?

Old Aug 7th, 2002, 04:54 AM
SSG

Absolutely. I assume of course that you are going to cash the travelers cheques and USD. You can do it upon arrival at Changi International Airport. Its right where baggage claim is.