Japan questions

Oct 8th, 2003, 12:24 PM
Original Poster

Japan questions

I was last in Japan more than 10 years ago. I plan on visiting Japan next month. When I was last there I had difficulty communicating with the Japanese since many of them didn't speak English. Has this changed? Do more Japanese now speak English? I would like to hear comments from people who have visited Japan recently. Thanks.
Oct 8th, 2003, 12:33 PM

We just got back and not many people seemed to have english skills, even sometimes in major hotels.

However they seemed to be used to helping westerners anyway. We had no trouble with getting around or buying things.

I did stay with one family where the children who were under 7 were learning english at school so it will probably change in the future.
Oct 9th, 2003, 11:55 AM

I find that most Japanese have basic knowledge of English, but are very shy to use it. Keep it to simple words and phrases along with some hand gesture, then you shouldn't have any problems.
Oct 10th, 2003, 06:06 AM

The Japanese study English for many years in school. Most have mastered reading and understanding it but their speaking skills aren't the best. Just speak slowly and use simple phrases, and if you need to, write it down. They are very helpful but embarrassed to speak it. Also, many more signs are in romaji (alphabet) so that should make it easier. Have a great trip!

Search this Thread