Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   japan planning (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/japan-planning-959236/)

rhkkmk Dec 13th, 2012 03:26 PM

japan planning

i want to plan a trip to japan.

please tell me how to get there?
please tell me the major sites?
are there any good restaurants?
will they take american money?
are they friendly?
do they have western toilets?
are there any good hotels?
does it smell there?
can i drink the water?
is it safe to swim there?

overwhelmed and confused..

Hanuman Dec 13th, 2012 03:47 PM

please tell me how to get there? = fly or sail.

please tell me the major sites? = Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Kobe etc...

are there any good restaurants? = I've heard the Japanese restaurant there are good and authentic.

will they take american money? = If you keep printing it they will take it.

are they friendly? = After 1945 yes!

do they have western toilets? = and then some! I've believe that with their latest version you don't need to wipe or aim anymore!

are there any good hotels? = from coffin like capsules to old ancient inn where you can dress like a Samurai!

does it smell there? = not if you bath.

can i drink the water? = all their water comes from Fiji!

is it safe to swim there? = only in the winter months.

hope this help!

evelyne13 Dec 13th, 2012 04:22 PM

I will be at the JW Marriott beginning of November in Beijing, another GTG would be very nice ....

Craig Dec 13th, 2012 05:20 PM

Oh Bob, really...

Flying would be a good way to get there. We are doing Air Canada. Alternatively, you can swim. If you do decide to swim, I will pay for Karen's flight in business class.

I like Pook's comment and I bet you do too: "if you keep printing it"...

I suggest 3 nights in Kanazawa October 28 -31 with a geisha performance on one of those nights and 5 nights in Kyoto November 2 -6.

Sorry you are overwhelmed and confused. Asian travel can be pretty complicated, especially for novices like you. But you can count on our friendly forum for good advice. Remember that (almost) no question is too stupid or naive for us - just ask away...

lcuy Dec 13th, 2012 05:46 PM

Hanuman, you know that Bob isn't interested in Japanese food. He wants to know if there are any good Italian restaurants!

Bob, just agree to pay my expenses and I'll make sure the locals are nice to you.

Hanuman Dec 13th, 2012 06:10 PM

I forgot about that lcuy! Bob the next time you're in Bangkok you can get a taste of Japanese Italian food at the newly opened "Pacata" restaurant on Khao San Road. The spaghetti with teriyaki sauce is suppose to be good.

http://www.facebook.com/mypacata

rhkkmk Dec 13th, 2012 07:31 PM

isn't geisha a type of tuna and also crabmeat??

simpsonc510 Dec 14th, 2012 05:25 AM

Great thread! Lots of important information....... "bookmarking" this one... haha

One of these days I'll have to make it to Japan. Right now, Bangkok is calling again... I'm leaving Monday for 3 weeks.

hawaiiantraveler Dec 14th, 2012 06:05 AM

Get a good guidebook preferably the new Fodor's Japan Guide or the other guys Frommers.

Great information given to you by the above fodors members as usual.

I especially like:

<i>If you keep printing it they will take it</i>

<i> Alternatively, you can swim.</i>

<i>Remember that (almost) no question is too stupid or naive for us</i>

<i> He wants to know if there are any good Italian restaurants!</i>

As someone who has been to Japan many times, I can assure you to these things being true(honto in Japanese).
Also need to mention that canned Geisha crabmeat and tuna are very popular items in Japan always cherished as gifts to the Japanese people by us from America so remember to fill your luggage with these cans and hand them out as gifts or "omiyage" to people you will meet. tic

As for the question of what sites to see you can check this site out and click on the names of the cities you intend to visit. In your case I would guess it might include Tokyo, Kyoto, Osaka, Hiroshima and maybe Kanazawa though I cannot imagine you sitting on the floor for a two hour geisha outing. When you click the names of the cities you are interested in the cities information will pop up with all the favorite sites within the city listed and explained for you with detail and pictures.

http://www.japan-guide.com/

Finally you asked "is it safe to swim there?" The answer for you is NO, the Japanese have an affinity for whale meat.

Aloha!

Shanghainese Dec 14th, 2012 07:25 AM

This is sooo entertaining in typical Bob-style!

rhkkmk Dec 14th, 2012 02:06 PM

why can't any of you just give me a straight answer?

"whale meat....."

Femi Dec 14th, 2012 02:20 PM

LOL!!!

KimJapan Dec 14th, 2012 02:22 PM

Table and chairs for dinner and geisha Italian can be provided. :)

DonTopaz Dec 14th, 2012 05:51 PM

I thought <i>geisha</i> was an adjective, an impolite term describing a gentile.

I know the answers to none of rhkkmk-san's queries, but I do have one question for him that might help put us on the right track: Why do you want to go to Japan?

p.s.: No, you may not borrow my yukata. Finding one that size was not so easy!

rhkkmk Dec 14th, 2012 07:28 PM

reasons: i miss all those made in japan things from the 1950's---cheap stuff..

i love canned tuna

i have a loud voice so i know i will be noticed

i want to try wrestling

i want to be the next emperor

i've heard that there are other airports there besides narita

i've never tried sake

why not?

i want to assure myself that that horrible robe was actually made in a sweat shop in mongolia

KimJapan Dec 14th, 2012 09:48 PM

Perfect.

Lots of vintage shops.

Canned tuna is a popular pizza topping.

How about a tour "Day in the Life of a Sumo Wrestler?"

Next emperor may be an empress...

That's true, but Narita is the only one with a house in the middle.

I'll take you to a brewery.

Why not?

hawaiiantraveler Dec 14th, 2012 09:59 PM

And narita is the only one with a direct flight from BOS

KimJapan Dec 15th, 2012 12:22 AM

That is very true!

kmkrnn Dec 15th, 2012 05:28 AM

Why does RHK want to go to Japan???? Because his wife does! What better reason can he have?

rhkkmk Dec 15th, 2012 05:29 AM

ok, its all set, we will go to japan right after my reassignment surgery... i would make a good empress.. love all those funny outfits.