Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

11hrs layover in Hong Kong - What to do?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10th, 2016, 03:50 AM
jnk
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have an 11 hour layover in HK this coming March. Arriving at 6am on a Sunday, departure at 5pm. There are 6 adults and 3 children (ages 3-8) in our party. We would like to visit the Big Buddha (by cable car? not sure what's best coming from the airport), which I understand does not open until 10am and will take up most of our time. We would like to be back to the airport by 3pm, which leaves us 8-9 hours to see the Buddha and something else. Would Victoria Peak or Star Ferry be an option (these 2 places have been mentioned frequently on the forum but I'm opened to other suggestions)? Can you recommend a short itinerary with the best mode of transportation given our large group size? Thanks in advance!
Old Jan 10th, 2016, 09:01 AM

If you want to visit the Big Buddha, I'd spend your time on that island rather than going into Hong Kong and riding the Star Ferry and visiting the Peak. I think you have time for one or the other, given your group size, but not both.
Old Jan 10th, 2016, 05:18 PM

It's a Sunday, so cable car will be busy for Big Buddha AND Peak Tram will also be busy, but since OP's group arrive HKG early, they can easily and nicely do this:

Take Airport Express to Hong Kong. Take two taxis to the Peak. From Peak, take Peak Tram down to Central. (Peak Tram starts 7am, and in the morning, even a Sunday morning, there won't be lines coming down). Walk through Central to Star Ferry, ferry across to Tsim Sha Tsui, snap some photos, then Star Ferry back to Hong Kong Island.

Then take ferry to Mui Wo, connect to #2 bus direct to Ngong Ping/Po Lin Monastery/Big Buddha. Try to get off the ferry before everyone and rush to the line for #2 bus. (If lines are long for bus, and IF there are two taxis available, might as well take that instead). Vegetarian lunch at Po Lin Monastery (meal ticket allows one to see the relic underneath the Big Buddha).

NP360 Cable Car back to Tung Chung. Since this is likely just early- to mid-afternoon, line should be minimal. Opt for regular cabin instead of the crystal cabin with longer lines. S1 bus back to airport.
Old Jan 11th, 2016, 10:50 AM
jnk
Original Poster

thank you both for your suggestions. as for the np360 cable car, i see that i can purchase tickets in advance online. is this a good idea to avoid the purchase line? there will be another line after the purchase line to get on the cable car?

rkkwan - if i wanted to skip the peak (getting nervous about all the transfers and time constraints, and it might be overcast in the morning), what would be your route / transportation suggestions for star ferry & po lin monastery? is the star ferry worth a ride? thanks again for your help.
Old Jan 11th, 2016, 11:24 AM

Star Ferry is definitely worth it. If you skip The Peak, then just walk from the Hong Kong Airport Express Station to the Star Ferry and the it across to the Kowloon side.

The long line for the NP360 is after ticket booth, for queuing up for the actual cable car. Buying tickets in advance does not help. Best thing is, again, get to Big Buddha by bus and ride the cable car down.
Old Jan 27th, 2016, 07:44 AM

How much a taxi ride would be to the Peak? What do you tell the driver?
Old Jan 28th, 2016, 04:32 AM

Taxi fare from Hong Kong Station to the Peak is about HK$100. DO NOT get into one of the cabs outside the lower Peak Tram station, as they are known to scam those who get tired of waiting in line for the Peak Tram.

Say "The Peak", or have show them 山頂 on a piece of paper.
Old Jan 28th, 2016, 04:33 AM

Of course, show the characters on the phone will work too. Or a picture of the Peak Tower. Or a map showing the Peak. Lots of ways...