Ko Samui in September?

Search

Ko Samui in September?

Search this Thread

Old May 21st, 2014, 01:06 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ko Samui in September?

My friends and I are visiting Bhutan and want to add on 5 days at the beach and are targeting Ko Samui based on reading that Phuket will not be good during that time due to Monsoon season. Now someone is saying Ko Samui is not good in late September either. Input woudl be appreicated. Thanks.
Old May 21st, 2014, 02:52 PM

Monsoon is a scary word but in reality it does not rain much in Phuket. IMO Krabi is better than Samui and Phuket but all have some nice beaches and things to do. I would plan your trip around flight convenience.
Old May 21st, 2014, 03:04 PM

Here's a site to check historical weather data: www.weatherbse.com It shows about 8 inches of rain In Koh Samui for Sept, and over 16 inches for Phuket (including all of the Andaman side beaches, Krabi, Koh Lak, etc)

It depends on what you want from your beach time. It is unlikely to rain all day, but you will likely have intense rain showers for some time each day. Also, the beaches are likely to be red-flagged. If you just want to relax and have some beach time, it may be fine for you. If you are hoping to dive or snorkel (or even swim in the sea), not so fine. A beach in Indonesia, think Bali, will have much better weather.
Old May 21st, 2014, 07:26 PM

It doesn't rain everyday in low season. Stats will show it can rain 10-15 days a month.

Usually it's like 1-2 hours and often at night or late afternoon.

I've been to Phuket in September for a few days and it didn't rain at all. Bright sunny days.

But weather is weather and even the forecasts are not that accurate more than 3 days ahead.
Old May 21st, 2014, 07:36 PM

One website said 21 days of rain on avg for Sept in Phuket. But you will find different numbers on different sites. For Samui it was 11 days.

Ive done a lot of travelling in Thailand during low season and never found rain much of a problem.

Koh Chang gets a lot more rain than Phuket and it has 4 months with more rain than Phuket's wettest month.