Mirissa or Tangalla - much difference?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 13th, 2013, 07:23 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have read up on both places and there doesn't seem to be a great deal of difference, is this correct? We are just looking for a quiet spot after a couple of weeks travelling down from Dambulla, but would like to have some choice for low-key eating places and a good swimming (possibly snorkeling) beach. Should I just select by the accommodation that suits us, or is one spot more pleasant than the other? Thanks in advance for any info.
Old Feb 14th, 2013, 07:33 AM

We stayed in a villa on the beach near Tangalla. While our stay was very pleasant, I really can't recommend the beaches for swimming or snorkeling as the water is very rough. There is apparently a beach in the area that is popular with the locals because of its calm waters but we did not visit it.

I have not been to Mirissa but I have read that the beaches are calmer there.
Old Feb 14th, 2013, 04:49 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Craig for your reply. I have heard the same about the beaches there, but I guess it can depend on what time of year you go.
Old Feb 14th, 2013, 08:40 PM

Hi Lulu Tangalle has some nice beach spots that offer privacy but snorkelling options very limited. Mirissa is a wider bigger beach with more eating dining options and fair surfing at one end of the Mirissa bay, again snorkelling is not really possible here. You can find better snorkelling at Unawatuna or Hikkaduwa which are both more crowded and have many more small eating places/bars etc.
Old Feb 14th, 2013, 09:44 PM

Which month are you visiting?
Old Feb 14th, 2013, 11:01 PM

We visited a lot of beach spots as we travelled along the south coast and Mohammed's description is spot on!We first stopped at Goyambokka which is close to Tangalla and has a great beach, small, great for swimming. There were a number of small restarants right on the beach which served great seafood. Lots of small guest houses and hotels around. We also stayed a few days in Welligama which is a nice town with some great local atmosphere, restarants etc. but not especially geared to tourism. You would not want to swim off the beach as the towns sewer emptied directly on to the beach! A few mile away is Mirrissa which was a very pretty, picture postcard place more geared to tourism it still relatively quiet. This part of the coast is not great for snorkelling.

Our guide had suggested we check out Unawatuna and Hikkaduwa which we did and, being keen divers we were hoping to get in some dives there, but both places were far too busy and touristy for us. the diving all seemed to be offshore so I am not sure if you will find any snorkelling from the beach. we carried on to Galle which we loved but it is not really a place for beaches but is within striking distance of the airport if that is where you are going next.