We are embarking on our first trip to Japan in late June 2017 (a little way off, but I am starting all of the research now). Perhaps not the most ideal time, weather wise (given rain, humidity, heat), but that is the only time of year we will get the opportunity, so better then than not at all!
I am generally pretty good at trip planning and researching, but I must say that I am finding Japan a little overwhelming. It seems so vast and diverse.
By way of background, we enjoy the typical sightseeing activities (visiting a few temples and highlights of the region), lots of dining/good food, visiting local markets, etc. We are not into significant hiking (although do like seeing aspects) or art, and shopping is not a major drawcard.
We don't like to do too much travelling/moving of hotels, and prefer a slower pace.
Our plan thus far (apologies for formatting):
Day .5, Friday, 16 June 2017: Leave Sydney to fly to Tokyo (Narita), arriving ~ 5pm.
Day 1, Saturday, 17 June 2017: Tokyo (... + day trips)
Day 2, Sunday, 18 June 2017: Tokyo
Day 3, Monday, 19 June 2017: Tokyo
Day 4, Tuesday, 20 June 2017: Tokyo
Day 5, Wednesday, 21 June 2017: Tokyo
Day 6, Thursday, 22 June 2017: Fly Tokyo to Hiroshima (overnight Hiroshima)
Day 7, Friday, 23 June 2017: Miyajima
Day 8, Saturday, 24 June 2017: Train to Osaka
Day 9, Sunday, 25 June 2017: Osaka
Day 10, Monday, 26 June 2017: Train to Kyoto
Day 11, Tuesday, 27 June 2017: Kyoto (visit Nara on one day)
Day 12, Wednesday, 28 June 2017: Kyoto
Day 13, Thursday, 29 June 2017: Kyoto
Day 14 (13.5), Friday, 30 June 2017: Train to Tokyo via Takayama, fly to Sydney (approximately 7pm)
Where we have transport options, obviously we have allocated losing ~ 1/2 a day; where I have mentioned one location, we will spend both day and night there, unless we are doing a day trip.
Anyone who reviews this will probably think I am a bit lost:
- Too much Tokyo?
- Too much travelling between Day 6-8 (and 10)?
We were thinking it is easier to fly to Hiroshima and backtrack to Tokyo than the other way (noting that we must fly into and out of Narita and cannot open jaw).
Thanks anyone for your feedback!
Recent ActivityView all Asia activity »
- 1 AOL @ Password Reset Contact 1:888:482:3831 AOL Tec*h Supp0rt Care 24/7
- 2 two health related questions
- 3 Princess Cruise
- 4 Best day trip from Phuket
- 5 Malaysia to Thailand Visa (Algerian Passport Holder)
- 6 Vietnam, Cambodia, Laos, Myanmar or Thailand?
- 7 Lombok, Indonesia on 24/12/17 to 30/12/17
- 8 RHK's Fall SEA Trip
- 9 Kata Beach
- 10 Sulawesi
- 11 meow?
- 12 Laurel and Hardy in Drag Do Bangkok
- 13 Help me plan my honeymoon! 7.5 days in Japan
- 14 First time to Japan (This Month)
- 15 Phuket
- 16 MUMBAI FOR TWO DAYS
- 17 altenratives to Chiang Mai for "northen Thailand experience"
- 18 Racism danger in Cambodia?
- 19 Restaurants in Bangkok
- 20 Bangkok - Suggestions ??
- 21 Food for thought- Restaurant suggestions for India Feb 1-18
- 22 Going to France - Should I Learn French?
- 23 36 Hours in Manila with a Baby and Seeking Hotel Recommendations
- 24 How to travel from Narita airport to Kawaguchiko
- 25 Unique Map & Guide to Tokyo