Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Japan Itinerary Help: Kanazawa-Takayama-Toyama (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/japan-itinerary-help-kanazawa-takayama-toyama-1667505/)

burta May 25th, 2019 06:02 PM

Japan Itinerary Help: Kanazawa-Takayama-Toyama

Aloha!

We are headed to Japan again in early December for 8 days, and will arrive and depart from Tokyo (special fare already booked). We would like to go directly from Tokyo to Kanazawa to spend several nights there, then to Takayama. I am considering heading to Toyama after Takayama, then to Tokyo to head back to the U.S. We have not been to this area at all. What is the best routing and means of transportation? We have been advised to get JR passes while still at home. Any other suggestions?

tt7 May 26th, 2019 06:26 AM

Take the train. A 7 day JR Pass would be worthwhile, though you have to fit the (long-distance) travel into the 7 day validity.

You don’t say what airport you are arriving at/departing from, at what time and whether you intend to stay in Tokyo when you arrive or depart. Obviously a 7 day pass doesn’t cover 8 days so you have to stay in Tokyo before or after you use the pass in order to get the long-distance travel into a 7 day window.

Tokyo - Kanazawa ¥13,920
Kanazawa - Takayama ¥6,250
Takayama - Toyama ¥3,160
Toyama - Tokyo ¥12,530
Total - ¥35,860
7 day JR Pass - ¥29,110

burta May 28th, 2019 04:18 PM

Thank you, tt7.

We don't intend to spend any time in Tokyo at all. We intend to go from Narita (arrive about 3 p.m.) to Tokyo to get the train to Kanazawa when we arrive. It will be a long trip for us, so I think that once we get there, we will rest for the balance of the day. We will head back to Narita on the 7th day and spend the night before departing the next day.

Adastra2200 May 30th, 2019 10:13 AM

You actually have another option, especially if you'd also like to see Shirakawago, and it's cheaper than the 7 day JR Pass. You can get the Hokuriku Arch Pass to Kanazawa, pay for the bus to Shirakawago and Takayama, and just pay for the train ticket from Takayama to Inotani (¥970, or ¥2150 by ltd express, saving 15 minutes). Then you can use the Arch Pass back to Tokyo. Some people spend the night at a farmhouse in Shirakawago - not inexpensive, but quite a unique experience.

kuroshhashemi Jun 1st, 2019 10:25 AM

Kanazawa is amazing. Check out the site called "Japan Guide" it's actually super helpful despite the boring name

mrwunrfl Jun 4th, 2019 10:23 AM

Fly to Komatsu (KMQ) from Narita. It only costs $72.10 for a nonstop flight departing 17:30 and arriving 18:50

Go here: https://www.ana.co.jp/en/us/?aswcid=1
It is set up for the search parameters you need.

Just click on Find Flights and see fares for the first seven days of December. Choose your date and Next. The first result is the one you want.

I flew into KMO once. It is easy. You will have gone through immigration at NRT.

Send luggage from Kanazawa to Takayama (one bag a day or two before you leave and the second bag on the day you leave Kanazawa - the first will be there when you arrive and the second will be arrive when you are there). Then travel hands-free - by bus with a stop in Shirakawago.

From Takayama to Tokyo you can take the train via Toyama or Nagoya. If you choose to go to Takayama by train then go via Toyama and then from Takayama go via Nagoya to Tokyo.

Your other option from Takayama is to go by bus to Matsumoto and then train (or bus) to Tokyo. You could stop at Kamikochi or Matsumoto on the way. Or with more time you could visit other points in the mountains east of Takayama.

kja Jun 7th, 2019 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by burta (Post 16925451)
for 8 days ... will arrive and depart from Tokyo ... go directly from Tokyo to Kanazawa to spend several nights there, then to Takayama. I am considering heading to Toyama after Takayama, then to Tokyo to head back to the U.S.

IMO, Kanazawa and Takayama together take about 5 nights. With 8 nights, I would not add anything unless you have no interest in Tokyo. JMO.

burta Jun 9th, 2019 03:12 AM

Kja:

We have no interest in Tokyo for this trip. It's a short one, and we have decided to concentrate on Kanazawa and Takayama with perhaps a couple of daytrips. We have also decided to fly from Narita to Kanazawa, and train and bus the rest of the way and back, thanks to recommendations on this post. Still trying to nail down details, however.

kja Jun 9th, 2019 08:40 AM

Ah, that makes sense -- enjoy!

mrwunrfl Jun 9th, 2019 11:29 AM

Originally Posted by burta (Post 16933523)
Kja:

We have no interest in Tokyo for this trip. It's a short one, and we have decided to concentrate on Kanazawa and Takayama with perhaps a couple of daytrips. We have also decided to fly from Narita to Kanazawa, and train and bus the rest of the way and back, thanks to recommendations on this post. Still trying to nail down details, however.

Ok, you would be flying to Komatsu and then take a bus to Kanazawa. You have time to take care of urgent business (restroom, I mean) before going to the bus stop, but don't waste time at KMQ.

Toyama (TOY) is another option, It involves a bus to JR Toyama station and then a train. You don't really want to do that. I have, but only because TOY was my international arrival airport as Asiana didn't fly to KMQ from Seoul.