Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page > Japan: Documentation Needed for Only One Parent to Bring Children into the Country???

Japan: Documentation Needed for Only One Parent to Bring Children into the Country???

Feb 25th, 2005, 05:22 AM
Original Poster

Japan: Documentation Needed for Only One Parent to Bring Children into the Country???

Does anyone know what documentation is required for a single parent to bring his/her children into Japan? I know Mexico requires a notarized statement from the other (non-traveling) parent consenting to the children traveling into the country without them.
Feb 25th, 2005, 06:56 AM

..Not sure about Japan but in general it is an extremely wise idea to bring a notarized statement anytime you travel as a single parent or with a child who is not your own. I would xerox a copy of custody agreements and have that notarized if sole custody. My husband and I have different names and when I travel with our joint children I have him write a letter (not notarized) and have a copy of the kids birth certificates which has my name on it...I know this is neurotic BUT it can save an incredible hastle. I was even stopped once by immigration coming back into my own country of residence when one of my children was a baby. I think they wanted to make sure that it wasnt illegal adoption!! Fortunately I had documentation otherwise I was at the point of considering an offer to show the immigration official my new stretch marks.
Feb 25th, 2005, 07:06 AM

The issue isn't with Japan, but with the US. Go to the State department website. There is a statement of what documentation is required when one parent is traveling with children.

Search this Thread