Notices

Japan-best mobile wifi router?

Oct 26th, 2016, 07:50 PM
Original Poster

Japan-best mobile wifi router?

Hello everyone! So I know there are countless forums about Japanese mobile wifi routers; however, I am now more confused than ever. From reading all the forums, Ive narrowed down my choices to 4 companies: Sakura Mobile, GAC (global advanced communications), japan-wifi.net, and japan-wireless.com.

I am going to be traveling Japan for 2 months, going ALL over, from Tokyo to Hakone to Mount Koya to Fukuoka. So I am looking for wide coverage. With coverage in remote areas, as well as possibly in subway stations (for Tokyo)--if possible. I will be using the internet mainly for for GPS, random facebook/email (not too often), and a bit of video streaming when bored (on train rides for example between places).

So what company would meet my needs? In addition, the plans are very confusing as well. What plan would be best? I thought Sakura was best; but I see it has a daily-cap of 600MB/day. So if it is unlimited, why is there a data cap? Wifi.net and wireless.com are the cheapest, followed by Sakura, and GAC.

If anyone can help. Thank you
Oct 27th, 2016, 07:26 AM

I've used GAC on my past two trips. I had coverage in the mountains and other remote areas. GAC has varying rates depending on who you contract with. I got a slightly better rate renting through one of the Japan Rail websites.
Nov 4th, 2016, 04:32 PM

For my upcoming first time visit I got me 'Docomo Wifi for visitors' (please use google). No experience yet but it sounds promising. Payment and following email confirmation went smooth.

Search this Thread