Notices

Japan and China city ideas!

May 27th, 2011, 10:21 PM
Original Poster

Japan and China city ideas!

I have been looking at places to see in China and Japan for the past five hours. I think I have found cities we want to see. In China we want to see: Yangshuo, Lijiang, Longsheng and Guilin. Is this possible to see these in one week? In Japan we want to see: Nikko, Matsushima, Kyoto, Miyajima and Kamakura. Possible in a week? How far are these cities apart, how scenic? How can we get to mt. Fuji?? Thanks!
May 28th, 2011, 01:47 AM

For what you list for Japan, plus Mt. Fuji, a week is not nearly enough time. Nikko one day, Miyajima one day, Kamakura one day, Matsushima at least a couple of days, Kyoto at least a couple of days and the more time the better. Nikko and Kamakura are accessed from Tokyo, Matsushima from Sendai, and Miyajima from Hiroshima. If you want to see Mt. Fuji, you can see it from the train Kyoto to Tokyo, or stay in Fuji Five Lakes or Hakone. You are all over the map. You will be spending much time in transit should you attempt all if these places in a week. Choose two, maybe three, tops. Look at a map. Check trains with www.hyperdia.com Consider if a JR Pass will save you money, but you need to know your itinerary first to figure that out.
May 28th, 2011, 06:33 AM

"Yangshuo, Lijiang, Longsheng and Guilin". Sigh. First, these aren't cities. Second, they are about the most over-touristed places in China, which has no shortage of them. If you flew you might be able to see them in a week, I suppose, but if you only have a week and you haven't yet been to China you should start in Beijing. I'd add Chengdu or Kunming for variety, but you'd have to fly.
May 28th, 2011, 06:36 AM

Oh, and five hours to research two countries, one of them huge? No wonder those are the lists you came up with. You haven't scratched the surface yet. Borrow some guidebooks from the library - Insight, Exploring and Eyewitness are good for this stage. Browse the coffee table books in your local bookstore. Read up on things that particularly interest you - are you into architecture? Food? Hiking? Birds? Then you need to move on to non-picture guides to work out logistics.

Search this Thread