January in Beijing, Xian then Shanghai

Dec 30th, 2001, 11:44 PM
John

January in Beijing, Xian then Shanghai

Hi: Ok, call me crazy. I'm from Hawaii and I'm going to Beijing, Xian and Shanghai (in that order) in 10 days. (January 10-20)... Is the weather really miserable? How miserable is miserable? I used to live in Minnesota....

I'm going with a friend from Ireland. Any good tips on restaurants or "Non-touristy" things to see. (Hutongs, neighborhood markets, off the beaten path stuff.)

Any help and encouragement will be greatly appreciated. I'm bringing my long underwear, that's for sure!

Aloha!

Jan 2nd, 2002, 01:39 AM
Chan

John, if you lived in Minesota, China is still okay, but indoor heating is not as good as the US. Beijing is basically similiar to the East Coast. Climbing the Great Wall in January is very through. Bring something to cover your face.

Jan 4th, 2002, 02:40 PM
usanee

John,
I was in China last December. In fact I had the same itinerary. It was very COLD but dry and not crowded. It wasn't miserable at all. I had a good time. I was fascinated by Chinese arts and old architectures/ monuments. I would worry about pollution more than anything else especially in Xian. Hutong is charming but it's not an all day thing.
Check out Sunday swap market in Beijing. I'm from Bangkok and I survived winter in china so could you. Have fun.

Jan 6th, 2002, 05:01 AM
clarence

How about visit some caves( off the beaten path.)in xi'an.
Pls Visit:www.cavetour.com.

Clarence

Jan 6th, 2002, 06:22 AM
Vance

Air pollution in China is the worst in the dead of winter. It is terrible!

In the summer and early fall it is not to bad.