Search

China in July or October?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 21st, 2014, 03:46 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
China in July or October?

Hi everyone,

We are planning a 3-week trip to China/Hong Kong and because of work can only travel in either July or the end of September-middle of October.

However after doing some research I've discovered that July's weather can be unbearable and that our Sep/Oct option will coincide with a major holiday week where crowds can be intense!

Has anyone travelled during these times and can offer some advice on which might be better? Or if it is better to choose a different destination?

Thanks
Old Jan 21st, 2014, 07:27 PM

I'd choose somewhere else for exactly the reasons you stated.
Old Feb 25th, 2014, 10:03 AM

I think it's way too hot for HK in July......
Old Feb 25th, 2014, 10:43 AM

Somewhere else.
Old Feb 25th, 2014, 10:30 PM

oct is ok, nice climate for hk, you can come at that time
Old Feb 25th, 2014, 10:42 PM

Climate in OCtober is much nicer than that of July in China And you can choose to visit less torisist places instead of big cities to avoid the big crowd during China's Holiday.
Old Feb 26th, 2014, 05:00 PM

China/Hong Kong is a bit of a wide area you are speaking about. Some parts of China have great weather during the summer (Yunnan, Xinjiang etc.). Other places never get hot at all really (Harbin, Inner Mongolia). So I think going at any time of the year is ok, you just need to choose the right place to go to.
For the holidays, those start on the 1st of October and last for 7 days and during that time traveling in China can be quite difficult. September however is fine.
Old Feb 27th, 2014, 03:40 PM

We traveled to HK and China in June/July. We are from Florida so I really don't remember it being any different than Florida's climate during the summer. I can say we are probably immune to the humidity. I do remember Victoria Peak being hot, but it rained a bit and cooled off enough for us to walk around The Peak Road for fabulous views of HK.
In Xian, I remember walking from the car park to the Terra Cotta Warriors saying to myself, it is hot, but I bought a paper fan, put my hair in a ponytail and used an umbrella for the shade-everyone does.
When climbing The Great Wall, there was a fantastic breeze. In Shanghai, I was thankful to go to an air conditioned museum. Also, The Pearl Tower was air conditioned. We took a day trip outside of Shanghai in an air conditioned car to see some beautiful gardens.

Also, it will probably be hazy.....

I think it is just it is a matter if you want to tolerate the humidity during this time of year.