Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

JamesA or other Thai beach expert- new Aleenta resort north of Phuket?

Jan 19th, 2006, 04:51 AM
Original Poster

Is anyone familiar with the location of the new Aleenta resort north of Phuket? Or the existing Aleenta in Hua Hin?

I am considering adding a stay at the new Aleenta for a trip in May (great opening deals)as husband has requested some beach time...other suggestions?

Thanks
http://www.aleenta.com/villas/popup_map.html
Jan 19th, 2006, 06:18 AM

I've driven that stretch of road countless times before turning off to Phang Nga, can't tell you anything about the coast though. You would be a very (very) long way from and restaurants or shopping, I don't know of any other resorts or hotels in that area of the coast, if you wanted remote and away from everything perhaps somewhere like Koh Yao Island might be of interest.
The Hua Hin one is actualy in Pranburi area which is about 30-40 minutes south of Hua hin, very quiet, in the rough same area as the Evason Resort. The Evason Hideaway Pool Villas are nice but pricey.

It all depands what you are looking for really. Be careful weatherwise from May around Phuket as that is when rainy season starts, would be dry though Hua Hin area, they are very different parts of the country.
Jan 19th, 2006, 06:20 AM

If you can 'paint a picture' of what you are looking for I am sure lots can give ideas.
Jan 19th, 2006, 06:32 AM
Original Poster

James- Thanks so much for your response.
I have also seen your posts on the Paradise Koh Yao....also someplace I'm considering.

As for what I'm picturing...Maldives deserted atoll...without the $800 a night price tag...but we're willing to do up to $200+
Jan 19th, 2006, 06:35 AM
Original Poster

follow-up/clarifcation-
Not so much a deserted atoll as a really beautiful beach without a lot of other hotels or development nearby.
As for weather....how bad would the end of May be? If it is just 2 hours of rain in the evening, that would be fine by us....all day rain would make be reconsider though. Thanks again
Jan 19th, 2006, 07:26 AM

On that criteria Koh Yao woulkd probably be the closest, you can read the reviews of both the Paradise and the Koyao Island resort, for May compared certainly with maldives rates are 'low'
Paradise Koh Yao:
Studio $108, deluxe studio $ 154, Pool Villa $ 248
Koyao Island Resort:
Deluxe $ 102, Family sized $ 129
those are all inc tax/service/breakfast, the round trip from Phuket or Krabi airport plus boat trip about US$75 pp return.
If you really want get away from it all then probably the closest you could get, especialy the top priced Pool Villa at Paradise at $254.

http://www.beachsiam.com/koh_yao.html

Rain...I lived on Phuket for several years, you never can tell, it could be dry the whole time, wet the whole time, a few showers, it all depends on when the Monsoon breaks over India and the Bay of bengal and that can vary a month, the earlier in May the better, but do appreciate ( as I guess if you know the maldives ) the limitations of being on a very small island if it rains, but if you mixed say 3 nights there together with a mainland dry area then you would not loose 'everything' if luck sent weather the wrong way.
You could add say a time at mainland Phuket, somewhere like the kata Thani ( junior suite $110 or Grand Suite $152 - that goes for 450+ peak Christmas/Jan season, so you can see the difference and that is because it 'is' the low season ), OR, Mom Tris' Villa Royale that time of year suites from $175, that time they are also doing a stay/pay 3 nights get 1 night free or pay/stay 5 nights get 2 nights free, and that includes breakfast etc so no hidden catches ( sometimes hotels offer free nights but then add on a huge breakfast charge ), but that's not the case at Mom tri's.

http://www.r24.org/beachsiam.com/phu...house/details/

Low season rate at the JW Marriott is about $ 160 as a comparison.

Evason Hideaway ( not to be confused with Evason Resort ) at Pranburi near Hua Hin, Pool Villa about $ 330,

http://www.r24.org/huahin.20m.com/hu...eaway/details/

They do a special air transfer arrangement from bangkok Airport, fly in a small 12-seater to Hua hin airport with limo transfer ( about 40 mins from HH Airport ), costs about $150 return each or otherwise a limo from Bangkok takes 3 hrs, costs about USD 75-95

Weather would be good and dry but beach certainly not on a par with Koh Yao/Phuket.

Now there's plenty to think about!

Apr 25th, 2006, 11:17 AM

Just saw your question about Aleenta and I have just come back from the new one in Phuket (actually it's in Phangnga already, but 15 min north of Phuket airport). I love it. The place is stunning, although still some construction going on, hence the soft opening low price, once you are in the hotel, you don't feel it. Hard to imagine but it's true. Our suite is right on the beach, floor to ceiling window glass wall takes in the most amazing view I've ever seen. Spa is great, restaurant and bar are superb. They plan to complete everything by July and I heard that they don't take new reservation now til they are done with construction but if you tell them that you know and understand they might. I booked last year when I heard (I stayed at the one in Pranburi before and I love the place, try that one too if you can, amazing little place - service of Aman with affordable price and room to die for) that they are opening a new place, got a letter earlier this year saying that there is delay in construction. I spoke to the owner who called me to explain and decided to go there anyway. I was not disappointed. This place I can imagine will be even more stunning when it's really done. As it is, it's breath taking. Services is not yet as great as their first hotel, but the staffs are eager to please and want to learn. Maybe I'm just too easy, but I love this hotel.
May 10th, 2006, 05:35 PM

Hi Ann,

Would you mind if I emailed you about the Aleenta? I'm planning to have a wedding there towards the end of the year and wanted to ask you more questions about the place ...

Let me know if this is ok ...