Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Asia
Reload this Page >

James A, Gloria, RHKKMK & others - N. Thailand itinerary question

Nov 22nd, 2005, 07:16 PM
CFW
Original Poster

Can any of you give advice on a scenic route (with driver) but not too windy from CM to the Anantara Golden Triangle, and any interesting stops along the way. We'd also like sopme suggestions for a nice place to stop for lunch. Also, we'd like to take a day trip from the Anantara to the Queen Mother's gardens at Doi Tung, and perhaps visit Mae Salong and Mae Sai along the way. Is this doable in one day? Worthwhile? If we can't do all three, which would you recommend as most interesting? P.S. I can't seem to find Doi Tung on the map. Where is it in relation to Chaeng Saen? Thanks!
Nov 22nd, 2005, 08:20 PM

doi tung is #1 in my book...michelin publishes a small book of maps of thailand...you might want to buy it...i think i bought it at globe bookshop in cambridge, ma....its simply called thailand....c. 2001..

you are welcome to borrow it if you want...

looking at it there is a road north east from CM called 118...it takes you close to a national park and it joins rt 1 just south of chiang rai...the drive is about 3 hours i am told...we flew to CR...

i believe we took rt 1 north from CR to rt 1016 east towards chiang saen...then near CS there was a hotel sign to turn left which we did and arrived at the hotel in 15 minutes or so...the drive from CR to anantara was 1 hour...

anyways to your question...leave the hotel and turn left on the road along the river...it is rt 1290 i think...at its end you turn right to enter mae sai....we went there first for about an hour, but did not cross the bridge (walk) into myanmar....250 B visa i think...

we then reversed direction on rt 1 and went south...doi tung is on the right side of rt 1 after leaving mae sai...there must be good signage...

i think you could continue along to mae salong but the road there looks very secondary....

we made a complete circle the day we went and went back on the 1016 again...it took all day....i was tired i remember...

we could easily have spent more time at doi tung...we did not see the workshops...

i could photo copy the page and mail it to you...or you can borrow the whole book....

[email protected]

bob
Nov 23rd, 2005, 05:12 AM
CFW
Original Poster

Thanks, Bob. I'll get the michelin map. Anyone else whose done the drive from CM to CR -- any interesting stops along the way and suggestions of places to stop for lunch?
Nov 23rd, 2005, 05:17 AM

I've only done a direct drive once and that was 10 years ago. Since then I've been in the area a lot but have spoent days doing various routes. I would try to go to Mae Salong and its market because it is unlike anyplace else in thailand and not nearly as touristy as other places. Doi Tung is a must and is the Queen Mother's gardens and craft initiatives. It's near chiang rai. I find Mae Sai a complete tourist trap and a bore.
Nov 23rd, 2005, 06:16 AM
CFW
Original Poster

Thanks Gloria. Do you think we will have enough time to visit both Doi Tung & Mae Salong on the same day from the Anantara?
Nov 23rd, 2005, 09:20 AM

i'll expand on what gloria has said about mai sae....it is a typical border crossing town....many shops selling all kinds of junk and some good stuff, including instant antiques...one wonders what is being sold behind closed doors...it was interesting to spend an hour walking around...some things were interesting...i found it far more interesting that the nite market in CM or the weekend market in bkk....its not large, maybe 3 blocks long and 2 blocks deep...
i think the ride from anantara to there was perhaps 30 minutes at most...

there are very few roads in northern thailand so it is very easy to get around....we never got lost at all...there are very few signs as i remember...we really did not need the map...it was just sort of self-assuring...