Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Jaipur--things to do? (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/jaipur-things-to-do-379247/)

ladia Nov 28th, 2003 07:34 AM

Jaipur--things to do?

We will be in Jaipur for three nights. Can anyone suggest authentic restaurants to visit? Also we are thinking about purchasing a rug--is Jaipur a good shopping spot for Indian wares? We plan on seeing the Fort at Amber, Palace of the Winds, City Palace, Jantar Mantar over two days. Is there any sights we are missing that we could include on the third day? Please let us know. Thanks so much!

jacketwatch Nov 28th, 2003 12:36 PM

We like the restaurant at the Rambagh Palace. There is a Jantar Mantar in Delhi. Is there also one in Jaipur?

Fenno Nov 30th, 2003 03:37 AM

Yes, there is a Jantar Mantar at Jaipur as well. Time should definitely be set aside for shopping. Rajasthan is well known for many handicrafts, including jewellery, textiles,etc. Plenty of shopping around Hawa Mahal (Palace of the Winds) but bargain hard. This is in the old city walls, walk around Johari Bazaar, Bapu Bazaar, Bari Chaupar and along the Mirza Ismail (MI)Road. Also go into the back streets where you will get better bargains. I've bought silver jewellery, Jaipur lightweight quilts, cushion covers, blue pottery, bedspreads, table runners, Indian shoes (jootis), lac ware including bangles, Indian pyjamas and other clothing. Lunch at Rambagh palace is lovely, you can also eat at Niros on MI Road which is not Rajasthani food but good Mughlai, continental and Chinese food. If you get a chance to try dal bati churma, do try it, I loved it, but it was home made which makes a difference. LMB's restaurant/hotel on Johari Bazaar has always had a good reputation, but I have never enjoyed a meal there, however it is conveniently located so sometimes I have to eat there as I'm starving. Anyway, it is safe to eat there and they do have ice-cream and sell great snacks, like sweets & nuts. If you get some free time and are into block print textiles, go out to Sanganer, about 16 kms away. Taxis will know where to take you, you can see the work in action and of course visit the show rooms. If you're into silver, there is a place in town, but further out than the old town called Silver Mine at Bani Park. I have no further details, so hope a taxi will know where it is.
For excellent blockprint clothing and homewhares, try Anokhi or Soma stores. If you miss them in Jaipur, they also have branches in Delhi.

aarti Dec 8th, 2003 05:33 AM

Hi

In Jaipur, for a great rajasthani village type dining experience try 'chokhi-dhaani'. Try dinner at the Raj Vilas hotel. Beautiful!!! Requires pre booking.

Good luck!

Aarti

Fenno Dec 8th, 2003 05:51 AM

Good thinking Aarti, I was going to mention that one too, but couldn't find from my notes where the place was. Isn't it just a little out of town?