Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   Itinerary help (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/itinerary-help-653700/)

AmeliaM Oct 18th, 2006 04:38 PM

Itinerary help

My husband and I are headed to Thailand for the first time in January. Not including travel time we have 12 nights to enjoy. Our travel likes: beautiful scenery/nature, outdoor activity, culture and a little history. We are not so much city people, even though from everything I read Bangkok seems terrific. We want to make sure to have a mix of exploring and vacation. We are on a moderate budget -- we like small, boutique-y hotels. SO here is what we have planned:

Day 1: Bangkok (arrive mid day) at the Davis
Day 2: Bangkok
Day 3: Bangkok
Day 4: Bangkok, overnight train to Chiang Mai
Day 5: Baan Rai Lanna outside Chiang Mai
Day 6: BRL
Day 7: BRL
Day 8: Chiang Mai city (to enjoy Night Market, and cooking class) staying at Baan Orapin
Day 9: Chiang Mai City
Day 10: Fly to Bangkok in AM, bus/train to Pranburi, stay at Aleenta
Day 11: Pranburi
Day 12: Pranburi
Day 13: To Bangkok for an evening departure

What do you think? Are we really missing out by not experiencing the clear waters of the Andaman or does the Hua Hin area have beautiful water as well?

I was thinking we could switch things up...more time in BKK with day excursions, maybe a night or two in Kanchanaburi then down to Krabi or Phuket?

In brief, I need help! I would appreciate any feedback or advice.

THANKS!!

KimJapan Oct 18th, 2006 05:06 PM

To me, your itinerary looks very good. You know yourselves, and what you like. You have a nice amount of time in each place. If anything, I might suggest Khao Lak or Krabi rather than Huahin/Pranburi...Krabi especially is much more wow than Huahin. There is one non-stop per day Chiang Mai - Phuket, which gives you access to Khao Lak and Krabi.

Gpanda Oct 18th, 2006 05:52 PM

The beaches at Krabi, Phuket or Khao Lak are better than Hua Hin and environs. It's a balance. It's an extra leg to fly to Phuket (there is one CM-Phuket Thai Air flight daily). However, it will actually be quicker to fly to Phuket from CM than CM-BKK and then bus to beach. As usual, more money for a better beach. You might look at the Old Phuket Hotel for a moderate price (Phuket hotels are also more expensive than Hua Hin). I would price out a Krabi/Phuket/Khao Lak beach verus a Hua Hin beach and then you can have an actual number to help make your decision. You can get the Thai Air prices from their website and the hotel costs from HuaHin.20.com. I will add that no matter what you decide, you'll have an awesome trip. Don't agonize too much. Perfection is unachievable.

AmeliaM Oct 19th, 2006 03:07 PM

Thank you both so much for your help...I'm going to check into Krabi and see if we can swing it. But the "not agonizing" advice is well taken. I know we're going to have a fantastic time! Thanks again -

kaneda Oct 20th, 2006 10:07 AM

Bangkok is one big shopping centre (make sure you see Mah Boon Krong, 7 floors of semi-AC shopping - National Stadium Skytrain, every taxi driver knows it), but has a fair bit to see with the Grand Palace which you can take a taxi to, a ride along the river (Saphan Taksin Skytrain station, walk to the river and you'll see the other tourists waiting. A trip along the river with a few dozen stops costs hardly anything.)

Paragon Centre Ocean World. A number of temples: Wat Arun, Wat Pho, etc. The floating market, Jim Thompson's house, National Museum. The Skytrain is the best way of getting about (easy to use) but taxis are dirt cheap (do not use tuk-tuks!). There are lots of travel agents if you fancy a day outside Bangkok. Possibly you might want to cut out a day in Bangkok at the beginning to put it on the end so you can buy things instead of having to carry them around with you for over a week?

eurotraveller Oct 20th, 2006 11:03 AM

Looks like a good itinerary.

I am curious as to why you chose the Davis hotel. We stayed there in Feb. and although the rooms were nice we weren't terribly impressed. It is a business class hotel so it seemed very impersonal and the location is a fair distance from the sky train. We stayed there after spending 3 great nights at Center Pointe Silom Services Apartments which spoiled us! Same price as the Davis but we liked it soooo much more!

The Baan Orapin is wonderful!

Enjoy your trip!