Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Asia (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/)
-   -   It's snowing in Tokyo again (https://www.fodors.com/community/asia/its-snowing-in-tokyo-again-509689/)

emd Mar 6th, 2005 01:21 AM

It's snowing in Tokyo again

Ok, what's the deal? Weather says it is snowing again today, second time already in March this year. Is this freaky or what? It is supposed to be 45-50 degrees this time of year, brisk and wet-chilly but NOT snowing.
Mealea, what is going on? I have to pack this week. Do I need snow clothes? Are people sledding in Odaiba? Help, please. Any famous Japanese "no more snow" dances we can do?

emd Mar 6th, 2005 01:55 AM

or is it not snowing? two forecasts I saw this morning said snow, but weather.com does not. Now I am totally confused.

emd Mar 6th, 2005 06:22 AM

Oh dear, it's starting already. I called Starwood. I booked on the club level at Westin Tokyo (w/megapoints) and they have no record of the reservation being on club level.
I called Northwest. They have no record of me calling in Dec. on the first day seats opened up for our flight, and getting those great 63A and C seats that were recommended to me on this board.
God grant me the serenity....

mrwunrfl Mar 6th, 2005 07:12 AM

You must be on a 747-400. Seatguru.com shows seats A&C or H&K in rows 63-65 are pairs with extra room at the window seats (A and K). Also row 35 is an exit row and A&C and H&K are good for tall people (but not wide since the arm rests are fixed).

emd Mar 6th, 2005 09:36 AM

Yes, that's exactly right. 747 w/63A and C. I got up at 2 a.m. CA time in Pasadena CA in D.C. and called NW because it was midnight where NW is, and got those seats when they opened up. But now they say I never called.
They may have to strap us to the wings, but we are going.

emd Mar 6th, 2005 09:37 AM

I meant to say in Dec., not D.C.

They have us in middle seats in different parts of the plane now. But I'm working on it.

kuranosuke Mar 6th, 2005 01:56 PM

emd; unbelievable. hang in there, and think about the good times you will have during your well planned trip to japan.

emd Mar 6th, 2005 02:06 PM

Guys, you'll get a big kick in the keister out of this. Fodors Asia board got me back into those seats!!!

I called NW airlines (my 5th call today) and spoke to a supervisor. I told her my story and she was pretty unsympathetic, "we have no record of your booking those seats, etc.." But then it dawned on me that I had actually archived getting those seats in a post I did on here on New Years Eve (ASIA TRAVEL HELP, THANKS")where I thanked people for helping me out on the upcoming trip. I had written a specific post to Bob rhkkmk (since he told me about those seats) detailing how I had woken up so early in the first day those seats were available and how I did get them. So I asked the supervisor to go on the internet and led her to the post. She read it and put me on hold and 10 min. later- bingo she comes back on and I have my seats back!!!!!!! I've gotten alot out of posting here but this takes the cake. It just blew my mind- I was pretty sure I'd lost them forever. Yipee.

kuranosuke Mar 6th, 2005 02:38 PM

emd; again, unbelievable. happy for your good fortune.

Mealea Mar 6th, 2005 04:54 PM

It was indeed snowing in Tokyo recently. There was quite a lot of snow late Thursday night and Friday morning, but by Friday afternoon the sun was out and all the snow had disappeared. The weather at this time of year fluctuates between sunny spring-like days and the occasional chilly day. Nights have been pretty cold and you would need a warm coat, but in a week or two it's going to start getting warm. Snow is pretty rare, but could happen. Anyway, snow in Tokyo is usually very light and brief, so you wouldn't need any special snow clothes.

emd Mar 6th, 2005 05:28 PM

Thanks Mealea. It's turning out to be a good day after all. I just got an email from the Westin Ebisu in Tokyo, the front desk manager, who tells me I am on the 17th floor on the club level, not to worry- "Starwood don't know what they say" he says, but apparently he does know what he is talking about, so all is ok.
i just want to get on the plane already.
thanks again.

lcuy Mar 6th, 2005 07:21 PM

Dear e (Can I call you that? I feel like I know you after all these months):

I read your earlier post, and was driving around this afternoon thinking about your seats, and remembered how excited you were to get them (so long ago). Thought I should suggest you print out that post and show it to NW, but you did even better!Conngratulations on the seats and hotel too!

And don't worry...your trip is going to be INCREDIBLE! You've made great plans and even if some don't happen the way you expect, it will still be a great trip.

We expect a looooong and detailed trip report, you know. \:D/

emd Mar 7th, 2005 03:23 AM

lcuy: you could call me "Elieen". That's "Eileen" in lucy-speak. But "e" is ok too.